PDA

View Full Version : How many use gloves when detailing?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

stilez
08-15-2006, 05:00 PM
http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/200501/?pg=15

Pictured in the right, top corner.

I have been using Latex gloves for a while. IMO, they are a cheap and easy way to save your hands. I specifically use them for:

-Cleaning out interiors: acting like an extra layer of skin, I protect from cuts, spills, and other obstructions when cleaning out a client`s vehicle

-Interior/carpet cleaning: to save my hands from chemicals

-Wheel/tire/well cleaning: Using relatively harsh chemicals, the gloves allow you to stay safe

-Claybarring: acting as an amplifier, you truly feel every single contaminant in the paint

-Dressing tires: I hate getting black gunk under my nails and this is a surefire way to prevent it.

Since using, I have noticed my hands are almost never dried out, easier cleaned, and just generally kept better.

Anyone else using? Which brand?

Guy
08-15-2006, 05:03 PM
That looks like a good idea, my hands are sticky and hurt from all the stuff I get on them! Water beads up nicely on my hands though!

ZaneO
08-15-2006, 05:19 PM
I do occasionally. It`s something I really should do more.

Saleenman607
08-15-2006, 05:24 PM
I use em` when I break out the PC. Applying wax should be strictly done with your hands IMO.

imported_Denzil
08-15-2006, 05:25 PM
I hardly ever use them unless it involves heavy dirt/grime/grease.

JaCkaL829
08-15-2006, 05:42 PM
I`ve used those gloves in the link before. I used them when I helped my friend take every piece of plastic off his motorcycle to polish/wax them in his house. Once we finished we had the gloves on to make sure we didn`t get them to dirty. It worked pretty good for that application.

I have a box of similar gloves from the hospital which I plan on using for my upcoming oil/tranny change; might give them a use for wheels and tires too now.

jdhutchin
08-15-2006, 05:42 PM
I`ve never worn gloves, and never had any issues. I just do part-time detailing, so maybe doing it every day is harder, but I`ve never had issues doing casual detailing.

racingbeat
08-15-2006, 05:49 PM
I always get meachanic finger nails when cleaning the wheels, you know gettin` in the inside of the wheel always sooo dirty.

imported_jaobrien6
08-15-2006, 05:53 PM
I do sometimes, not all the time. I prefer the blue nitrile gloves over latex. Nitrile is much more chemical resistant than latex, plus some people actually develop latex allergies over time from repeated exposure to latex (not everyone will, but some people do). My wife`s a nurse and they pretty much only use nitrile gloves anymore (mainly because of patient`s latex allergies, though).

Thomas Dekany
08-15-2006, 06:00 PM
I use those sometimes. I switched to those thick yellow ones. The latex ones don`t keep the chemicals out when I do interiors. But I am way slower then you.

Used for interiors/wheels (when I don`t have my powerwasher)

FYI, I use a product called Green Giant (apc) from Magic Bright. Contains some acid but it is by far the most awesome apc. Used straight, it will tacle any wheel, no matter how dirty/breakdust. Diluted, it will clean spots other cleaners can`t touch.

awahl63
08-15-2006, 06:01 PM
I`ve never used gloves but have thought about it...I`ll try it out sometime

topnotchtouch
08-15-2006, 06:02 PM
I use nitrile chemical resistant gloves. I really only wear them during the messiests parts of detailing like tire cleaning/dressing, engine compartment or undercarriage detailing, etc...

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D990009L&N=700+303900+115&autoview=sku

awahl63
08-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Any place to get Green Giant OTC?

Thomas Dekany
08-15-2006, 07:00 PM
Any place to get Green Giant OTC?

I get it from the bmw shop I detail at. He gets the 55gallon size and just gives me a gallon of it when I need it. Next time I see the salesrep I`ll get the info for you.

stilez
08-15-2006, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the link on blue nitrile :). I`ve used them before, but I`ve always found them pricey.

Looks like my latex will stick to household use when I get them.