PDA

View Full Version : Question about Wash Mitts

jermy4
08-14-2006, 10:46 PM
I`ve read that you can tell whether or not a wash pad will mess up your paint by rubbing it on a cd and if it leaves scratches then it will swirl your car.

My dad gave me some fake wool wash mitts tonight and they weren`t quite as soft as the meguiars one that I have so I did the cd test and it scratched the disc. Just because I was curious I tried the one I have been using on my car and it scratched a cd too. I know both of these mitts are clean, are these really going to mess up my paint in a bad way?

This is the mitt I have been using Meguiars Ultra Plush Wash Mitt (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/meg-x-3010.html).

The ones my dad gave me look very similar but are not quite as soft but that could be because they haven`t been washed yet.

Should I buy different ones, if so anybody have any recommendations?

Jason M
08-14-2006, 11:59 PM
I really prefer this http://www.autopia-carcare.com/meg-x-3000.html over the wool mitts. It holds A LOT more solution and seems to glide over the surface better.

Two drawbacks. 1. It is tougher to get particles out of than a wool mitt. Like tar or the random small dirt particle. 2. It sheds more than I would like. Sometimes it will leave a couple strands if it catches on a sharp trim edge or moulding. Overall the benefits are worth the tradoffs for me.

Mark77
08-15-2006, 01:39 AM
Jermy4, I really like the Meguiars mitt you are using. I have only used those for about a year now.

jermy4
08-15-2006, 07:10 AM
I really prefer this http://www.autopia-carcare.com/meg-x-3000.html over the wool mitts. It holds A LOT more solution and seems to glide over the surface better.

Two drawbacks. 1. It is tougher to get particles out of than a wool mitt. Like tar or the random small dirt particle. 2. It sheds more than I would like. Sometimes it will leave a couple strands if it catches on a sharp trim edge or moulding. Overall the benefits are worth the tradoffs for me.

I have some megs chenille sponges that I like to use but they seem to fall apart. Not only do they shed but they come apart at the seams after a few uses.

jermy4
08-15-2006, 07:11 AM
Jermy4, I really like the Meguiars mitt you are using. I have only used those for about a year now.

Well the new ones that I got last night scratched the cd about the same as the megs mitt so I doubt they are any worse for the paint then the megs one. They do seem to have less pile to them but maybe that`s because they haven`t been washed or used yet.

Accumulator
08-15-2006, 11:41 AM
I`ve read that you can tell whether or not a wash pad will mess up your paint by rubbing it on a cd and if it leaves scratches then it will swirl your car.

Just a reminder to test wash media *as it will be used*. That is, soak it in shampoo solution, test it wet with wash solution, and have the CD wet too. You want to duplicate (as best you can) the process of washing the vehicle. Natural fibers soften up quite a bit when soaked for a little while, and all wash media will benefit from the lubrication that the shampoo mix provides. My BHBs feel pretty coarse but they didn`t scratch the CD when I tested them (tested them properly ;) ).

I`ve heard some real horror stories about the synthetic mitt from Meguiar`s.

It`s nothing but cotton chenille, sheep skin, or MF mitts for me. And BHBs of course :D There are plenty of choices that don`t scratch the CD so I can`t see any reason to use something that *does* scratch it.

Jason M
08-15-2006, 01:26 PM
How do you like the MF mitts. I keep wanting to try one but I like the chenille so much I have a hard time moving away from it.

Accumulator
08-15-2006, 05:31 PM
I like MF mitts fine (noting that they are NOT all the same, get the good ones) but sometimes they retain dirt, which could lead to marring.

lp2137
08-15-2006, 06:52 PM
I like MF mitts fine (noting that they are NOT all the same, get the good ones) but sometimes they retain dirt, which could lead to marring.

Which ones do you use?

imported_steveo3002
08-16-2006, 05:06 AM
could you post a link to the boars hair brush please

Milestones
08-16-2006, 06:23 AM
Genuine Lambs Wool mitts seems to be the consensus choice around here for the combination of 1)softness, 2) ability to lift dirt/grit off the surface and away from the paint as you wash, and 3) the ability to release dirt/grit into the rinse bucket before putting it back in the wash bucket (using the two bucket technique).

The good microfiber mitts are soft and do a good job of lifting dirt/grit away but, in my experience, don`t always do a good job of releasing the dirt back out before proceeding to wash the next panel on your vehicle. This is obviously key - because you don`t want to be dragging grit from previous panels across your paint as you wash.

I`ve used both the Sonus Ultimate Wool and the TurtleWax Wool mitts and been very satisfied with both. Most any decent quality wool mitt will do the trick. The higher quality wool mitts will be softer and will probably last longer than others though.

mongo
08-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Microfibers do not release dirt use cotton if you are using Zaino the SMarnold Snow white mitts over the viking mitts do not use sheepskin with Zaino.

Sheepskin are OM on other waxs sealants.

mongo

Accumulator
08-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Which [MF mitts] do you use?

I`m pretty sure they came from MicroFiberTech but I wouldn`t bet my life on it. They`re blue and *very* plush (and they`re nice and soft). No problems with dirt retention, but then I use other wash media for the initial passes and so most large particles are gone before I employ the MF mitts.

I`ve also tried the white SM Arnold ones, but as noted they just don`t release dirt very well.

could you post a link to the boars hair brush please

Actually...uhm..no, I don`t have a link, or at least I can`t seem to find it :o Here`s the next best thing- these are the BHBs I use:

GRIOT`S (http://www.griotsgarage.com/) : their BHB for wheels (pn 92546) is pretty good. Their set of small BHBs (pn 15520) is just *GREAT*, I use them for tight spots (around wheel lugs, in door jambs) at every detail and I`d be lost without them. Griot`s also sells a regular BHB but I kinda like the following one better:

AUTOGEEK (http://www.autogeek.net/) : I`m using their BHBs to do the first pass(es), with the foamgun spraying at the point where the bristles of the brush (gently) meet the paint. It worked great last winter when I had a lot of awful, abrasive dirt stuck to the vehicles. Until I try something better this is what I`m using.

TOL (http://www.topoftheline.com/index.html) : I`m using their BHB for wheels too. It`s different from the Griot`s one and I dunno if I have a preference but I like having them both.

Sorry I don`t have better/diect links, but you oughta be able to find those pretty easily if you go to the sites.