PDA

View Full Version : Product Review: Michelin 3 in 1 Tire Shine

JaredPointer
03-28-2005, 08:50 AM
Part II of a three part series……. Ha! Actually this is step 2 in the three step tire care product line for Michelin, so here we go again. Any questions will try to be answered.

Packaging: Packaged in a blue bottle with bright yellow spray nozzle. The yellow and blue are staple colors to this three step product line. I had similar thought on this sprayer as to the one on the cleaner. Comfortable for the hand.

Price: $5.99 USD for 24 ounces of product. About the same price I have been paying for Teflon Tire Shine.

Directions: The directions state to spray on a cloth or sponge and wipe onto the tire (or other surface to be treated…) and to let the product penetrate. Wipe off any excess. For more intense shine, repeat the application procedure. The label actually states that you can use this on interior & exterior trim and vinyl. Go figure.

Product: This too has no strong scent to speak of. It is a milky white looking color. More liquid than gel consistency. Pretty basic I suppose….

Usage: I sprayed abut 4 quick shots onto a clean, new terry cloth app I had lying around and began applying to the tire. Let me tell you, a little bit of this stuff seems to go a long way. I dressed two complete tires with those four sprays. I don’t know what it is about this stuff, but it just kept on going, and going, and going….. I let it “penetrate” per directions and then came back and wiped off the tire with a clean MF. I found that there was not much excess. It actually looked very black on the first pass with a low sheen. I wanted a little more shine out of it, so I performed the steps again, and that did the trick. I was very surprised at the way this stuff worked. I had a clean, new looking tire with a medium sheen. I really like it and will probably use it a few more times to get a better feel for it, but as for now it has a place on my shelf. Sling is virtually non-existent. I did a good bit of driving today on the tires looking for a new pad and going to a friend’s house tonight, and I don’t see the first indication of sling. Durability will be an issue, but even if it only lasts a week, I only used a little bit of this stuff. This bottle will last me quite a long time.

Out of all three products, this is the one I am most impressed with. Deep looking black, almost as if the tires were brand new. Medium sheen, low dust attraction so far. I would say if you want to try a good OTC dressing, give this stuff a shot. At some point I might try it on the exterior trim, but I don’t think it will take the place of my regular dressing.

Note on the picture: That`s not trick photography, I just wanted to get a pic that showed how this stuff looked versus the undressed tire. That`s half-dressed with one swipe of the terry applicator. :)

Bill D
03-28-2005, 09:06 AM
Thanks for the review :bigups Sounds like a decent water based, PDMS dressing

joyriide1113
03-29-2005, 10:50 AM
i love it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/letsmotor/DSCF0128.jpg

and in this picture it shows the tire after 200 miles of driving
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/letsmotor/minidetailupp1x003.jpg

JeffM
03-29-2005, 04:48 PM
I recently bought some too.

I like it, applied it with EO app., but i didnt buff off.

It left streaking, so next time i buff off.

Note: Teflon tire shine didnt leave streaking with the above application meathod.

Ferrarislave
03-30-2005, 03:11 AM
Nice Mini, I use Eagle One Wet Tire Gel, Meguiars Hi-Gloss Tire Gel, Turtle Wax Tire Wax Tire Gel and also Eimann Fabrik Black opal. I usally mix black opal and one of those gels on the same applicator and spread it for maxium shine. I like my tires to have a deep wet looking shine thats just me though.

I envy the location you live in more then your mini, :rofl

Volks_Jetta
03-30-2005, 03:16 AM
Nice car.. nice looking tires! Thanks for the review - Its a great writeup. Have you tried Extreme Black? And if you have, how does it compare?

JaredPointer
03-30-2005, 09:08 AM
Quick update: The tires have been dressed with this stuff since Saturday. I`ve done a good bit of driving and it rained Sat night & Sunday. The tires still ook deep black, however, they have lost the sheen. I still like the look. So far this stuff is clutch. :lol

BigChevMan
03-30-2005, 05:48 PM
I have found that it`s very important to buff it. if not it`ll streak all to heck. The buffing part is the key.

JaredPointer
04-01-2005, 11:39 AM
Another update: This stuff is staying black & clean. I am more impressed every day. It`s been pouring rain, and it`s hanging in there like a major player. I will probably be keeping this stuff around. :bigups