PDA

View Full Version : US Made 100% Terrycloth Towels?

Pages : [1] 2

Shooter
08-14-2006, 02:50 PM
I was told that when waxing/polishing a car, 100% terrycloth towels made in the USA should be used because towels made in foreign countries don`t always contain 100% cotton even though their labels state they do.

Is this true?

I have searched everywhere for towels made in the USA and can`t find them. :(

deadlock32
08-14-2006, 02:58 PM
... what do you have something against Microfiber or something? ^_^

Shooter
08-14-2006, 03:00 PM
... what do you have something against Microfiber or something? ^_^ I don`t know anything about MicroFiber. Is it better to use than terrycloth towels? Is it safe to use with say, Meguiars Quick Detailer?

BigJimZ28
08-14-2006, 03:04 PM
I think most of us use microfiber now.

the advise you got about terry is the old way of doing things.

just go to target and get the 12 pack of orange microfiber

I think it is like$9.99; you should be happy with them

joyriiide1113
08-14-2006, 03:07 PM
Meguiars makes a very nice OTC mf. It even has silk edging. With proper washing and care, it should stay soft...

I`ve only seen it @ PEPBOYS though.

chml17l
08-14-2006, 03:10 PM
Meg`s Super Terrys are almost 50% off @ Auto Detailing Solutions if you really need a 100% cotton terry towel.

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/Microfiber%20Towels.htm

Eliot Ness
08-14-2006, 03:11 PM
I don`t know anything about MicroFiber. Is it better to use than terrycloth towels? Is it safe to use with say, Meguiars Quick Detailer?Yes, as stated most of us use MF`s now. Below is a link to an article and two threads that should tell you more about MF`s than you ever wanted to know ;)

http://www.guidetodetailing.com/articles.php?articleId=44

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75811

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74731

DrSauekraut
08-14-2006, 03:51 PM
. . . because towels made in foreign countries don`t always contain 100% cotton even though their labels state they do.

Actually, this is true of both domestic and foreign manufacturers.

I agree with the others . . . quality MF takes the cake :2thumbs:

salty
08-14-2006, 08:15 PM
The 100% cotton statement, sounds like someone uses Zaino or read the website. But choose the MF.

TrueDetailer
08-15-2006, 01:53 AM
I don`t know anything about MicroFiber. Is it better to use than terrycloth towels? Is it safe to use with say, Meguiars Quick Detailer?

If you use quality terry cloth towels they are just as good as a microfiber. Like some have said its just the old way of doing it.

imported_mirrorfinishman
08-15-2006, 08:12 AM
I was told that when waxing/polishing a car, 100% terrycloth towels made in the USA should be used because towels made in foreign countries don`t always contain 100% cotton even though their labels state they do.

Is this true?

This may be true, however, you should really not have a problem using terrycloth towels made outside of the USA. Actually, I have been using terrycloth towels on a professional basis for more than 20 years and never had a problem.

Accumulator
08-15-2006, 11:31 AM
Since switching to MF I`ve had *far* less micromarring, especially on my cars with soft paint. I had used good terry cloth towels for decades, but I know a better approach when I use it ;)

A long time ago somebody posted before/after pictures of automotive paint that was rubbed gently with *very soft*, 100% US cotton terry (IIRC they used Fieldcrest Charismas). Under magnification you could clearly see the paint had been scratched by the terry.

NO not all paint is so soft that this`ll happen and no not all terry is the same. But I simply can`t see a reason to take the chance. MF is better, why not use the best?

Wonder who even *makes* the best US towels now that Fieldcrest/Cannon is out of business :nixweiss I`m buying egyptian cotton toweling for the bathrooms these days, all imported; it`s the softest I can find.

Considering how often I replace our bathroom towels, I wonder how often people replace their *detailing* towels. Wear and tear sure take their toll, but you don`t always notice it until you compare with a new towel.

Whatever you`re gonna rub paint with, do the CD test first (and test again from time to time). If it scratches the data side of a CD, well, that`s a clue as to how "soft" it really is...

Darren F
08-15-2006, 01:54 PM
is it true that if you are removing product and you are having a hard time removing it with a MF that you should switch to terry cloth?

RJJ
08-15-2006, 02:03 PM
The cotton towels available today, foreign, simply do not have the absorbency that our older US made towels do, they may state 100% cotton but I do not believe it.

Keep in mind that a towel could be made from 100% cotton AND other fabrics or perhaps it is 100% recycled cotton....

EMazda3S
08-15-2006, 03:22 PM
is it true that if you are removing product and you are having a hard time removing it with a MF that you should switch to terry cloth?

I would just switch to a different MF. There are MF`s specifically made to remove polish/wax, they have more bite and a different weave yet are still safe for paint. Viking makes a great one available OTC and Autopia Carcare has some as well as Autogeek`s Cobra Indigo Polishing Cloth.

If you are interested in terry towels (still technically MF!) try DF Towels www.dftowel.com

or the Autopia Concours Buffing towel.