PDA

View Full Version : Detailing as a Career

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

lp2137
08-13-2006, 09:21 PM
Hey guys

I`ve been frequenting the forums for a few months now. I`ve been picking up a lot of useful information but I`m curious about Detailing as a career. I`m 17 and am starting my senior year of highschool in a little more than a week.

I`ve never been much of a person that wants to go to college, school just doesn`t seem to cut it for me. I rather be out somewhere learning by experience rather than getting lectured. As for detailing I have learned a TON of info off of this forum but out working on my parent`s car I also have learned a ton.

I guess I`m just curious to know how all you guys have started up your businesses and I`ve always been curious to what you guys do in the winter if you`re in a cold climate area?

Anyway, any feedback or wisdom would be greatly appreciated as I am unsure of what I want to do as a career but I`d love for it to be with something to do with cars especially detailing. I love seeing a transformation whether it be detailing a car or helping my mom with the lawn and garden, anything like that.

Todd@RUPES
08-13-2006, 09:49 PM
Go to college, make good money...

deadlock32
08-13-2006, 10:03 PM
you should still try to goto college so you have something to fall back on. Even something like management can help you better control your own business, especially for the aspects of running a busniess that autopia cant help you with.

Envious Eric
08-13-2006, 10:25 PM
go to college and detail while in college taking your time to get your detailing business ready for when you get out to go all out on it. that is what I am doing....I am in my last year with only 6 classes to get my management degree and I am giving myself the next two years to get my business up and running the way I want it to! after that, if I dont have what I want as far as the business goes, I can always fall back on my degree and get a management position working for an established company and detail on the side! GO TO SCHOOL

Capt. Paintball
08-13-2006, 10:42 PM
Find a different career, and if that means go to school, detail as your job while you figure out what you want to do.

johnhoefer
08-13-2006, 11:37 PM
Go to college. Detail on the side for beer money.

Detailing is great, every girl I date gets a full exterior paint detail within the first month. That way whenever they get into their shiny car, they see me! Just think of how many chics cars you can detail in college. You get good practice and maybe get laid. Live at home, go to college, detail on the side and chase girls. You are 17 for crying out loud!

If you don`t like getting lectured, just wait to you meet your first boss with your non-college degree level job. We never stop getting lectured: teachers, bosses, clients (customer is always right), wifes, mothers. Go to school so you can lecture someone else. :)

Evenflow
08-14-2006, 12:03 AM
Go to college. Detail on the side for beer money.

Detailing is great, every girl I date gets a full exterior paint detail within the first month. That way whenever they get into their shiny car, they see me! Just think of how many chics cars you can detail in college. You get good practice and maybe get laid. Live at home, go to college, detail on the side and chase girls. You are 17 for crying out loud!

If you don`t like getting lectured, just wait to you meet your first boss with your non-college degree level job. We never stop getting lectured: teachers, bosses, clients (customer is always right), wifes, mothers. Go to school so you can lecture someone else. :)

Thats exactly what I do. The thoughts been through my head many times about professional detailing. But, I do one car, and im beat. Some people may not think, but detailing does take a lot out of you. Also, I think if I did detailing everyday I would lose my passion for it.

BigAl3
08-14-2006, 12:04 AM
You get good practice and maybe get laid

:rofl :laugh:

LeadingEdgeDetail
08-14-2006, 12:09 AM
Best advice?

Go to College for Business Management, as well as Financial Planning, and maybe Accounting.

Detailing is experience, but having a good Career requires planning and making a lot of money means either owning your own business, or being high-up in somebody elses.

Having said that, Business Management MINDSET is what every employer wants, and it will help you no matter what.

Real life experience can only teach you what you`re shown, and teachers show you everything :rules:

Envious Eric
08-14-2006, 01:43 AM
you cant detail forever, your body wont handle it....sooner or later you will have to either own the detail company, or find a 9-5 somewhere making someone else money....go to school to make use of your time making your money

Five Star
08-14-2006, 02:48 AM
where do you live?

If your not the 4 yr college type, then don`t bother.

Learn a trade, do what drives you forward and makes you happy.

I started detailing when i was your age, in a body shop.

My advice to you about your future that I want you to write down and put it where you`ll see it every day is this.

"Do what you love, Do it to the best of your ability, Dream Big, and put 20% of your income in a Roth IRA"

lp2137
08-14-2006, 03:08 AM
You have no idea how much I appreciate the advice guys, I know that you guys work your *** off and produce great work.

It seems as the general opinion is for me to go to college so I have something to fall back on. Going to college for business has lingered in the back of my mind because the retail business is in my blood but I like to take the course of mangement. I guess I am very particular in the way I want things run.

I guess what`s holding me back besides not being the 4 year college type is the price and loss of time. My brother is going to college now to be an engineer and I know that when he gets out he`s going to have a handsome amount of loans to pay back and I just don`t want that. Nowadays most people are spending more than 4 years in college and I just can`t justify losing 4-6 years. I see it as losing rather than gaining.

Evenflow: I understand what you mean about being beat, I think everyone is like that. After I detail my parent`s car I`m always beat but I love seeing something progress and I think that would keep my drive going.

Fivestar: I`m from the Chicago burbs and cars drive me. I`m not inclined mechanically but I do love to see a car fully detailed.

Five Star
08-14-2006, 03:28 AM
I have two cousins that have Phd`s. I dont think you can really get anywhere without at least a masters today. but they are making serious bank and don`t have any trouble paying off their loans.

With Business in the back of your mind, think about your profit to expenditure ratio on repaying those loans.

If you get a degree from graduate school, you`ll probably have somebody come over and detail your cars.

Once again, it`s doing what you want to do best

lp2137
08-14-2006, 03:34 AM
I have two cousins that have Phd`s. I dont think you can really get anywhere without at least a masters today. but they are making serious bank and don`t have any trouble paying off their loans.

With Business in the back of your mind, think about your profit to expenditure ratio on repaying those loans.

If you get a degree from graduate school, you`ll probably have somebody come over and detail your cars.

Once again, it`s doing what you want to do best

I agree that the new up and coming trend is that you must have a masters. Althought I`d love to have the nicer house and nicer car but I`d honestly rather be a happier person than making a substantial salary but hating to go to work everyday.

Five Star
08-14-2006, 03:40 AM
I`d honestly rather be a happier person than making a substantial salary but hating to go to work everyday.

thats what its all about. dont forget to put money away in a Roth IRA.

The earlier you start, the more you`ll have when you retire

3k in a Roth for 7 yrs at your age will give you about 1.5 mil at age 60

now let me get off my butt and get ready for the day