PDA

View Full Version : PC 7424 + Inverter

imported_Mr.C
08-13-2006, 12:52 PM
:think2

Hello everyone,

This is only my second or third post here so still new.I read the forums every day and I am learning.I live in an apartment and don`t have access to electric so my question is can I get away with using a power inverter? I have the Porter Cable 7424 package from Autopia. This is the package that I have.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-daspol-kit.html

Also on the Autopia site on how to use a Porter Cable 7424 this is was was listed there I have coped and pasted here for you to read.

BASIC FEATURES & OPERATION

The Porter Cable 7424 has a powerful motor for its size, yet it pulls a scant 3.7 amps at 110 volts. If you don’t have a garage, you can run the Porter Cable 7424 off of your car battery using a 750+ watt power inverter. The tool uses a standard 5/16-24 spindle, so a lot of different attachments will fit.

So is this safe to do? Will it drain my battery very quickly? or will I be able to use it for a long time off the battery? If any one here has used a power inverter can you please tell me if all will be OK.

I found a 750+watt inverter at Lowe`s yesterday and wanted to wait and buy it after I get answers.

Thank you for all your time and this is a great forum for learning.

:nixweiss

imported_steveo3002
08-13-2006, 01:53 PM
yes the inverter should be fine.....how long it will last depends on the size and age of your cars battery

id suggest running the car for 15 minutes out of every hour

deadlock32
08-13-2006, 07:33 PM
Bump cuz i`d like to see if anyone has done this.

alpnwhite96
08-13-2006, 09:04 PM
me too... i live in an apartment.

firegate
08-14-2006, 12:59 AM
It`ll work fine, the pc draws about 30-35 amps at 12v so make sure you have a big enough inverter.. I`d leave the car on while you do it though so you`re getting stable voltage off the alternator.

Quiksilver225
08-14-2006, 05:06 AM
When you start a portable tool, there is an inrush current to the motor to get it "going", principally to overcome inertia and the fulx the motor. Once the machine is running, the current drops. At no load, there`s still some current drawn.

The peak is dependant on many things like the windings, state of the brushes, quite a few odds and ends. I`d allow at least 50% more current to start the PC which the inverter needs to supply. So the inverter capacity would need to be 1.5 x 110 x 3.17 = 523VA. Most commercial units are 500VA and then 750VA. 500VA is a bit on the lean side.

The PC can also run from a 110V DC supply, so your inverter`s output could be pretty rough and the PC would keep on going.

To obtain 110VDC, you need a DC-DC converter, similar to that fitted to modern car audio amplifers. I haven`t looked for any commercially, but a market such as the US should be able to produce such a device.

Cheers for now!