PDA

View Full Version : Lines in wax? Old wax residue? - photos

johnnyv
08-12-2006, 02:57 PM
I`d appreciate some suggestions about how to fix this finish problem.

I waxed my vehicle early in the summer with Meguirs Gold. It looked great. Since then it has been pretty much auto carwashes. I finally got the time to give it a good hand wash and as I was drying it off I found these lines in the finish. I thought that buffing with a soft towel would help, but it seemed to make it no better, possibly a little worse.

I`d appreciate any suggested fixes/products, and any suggested insight to the cause so that I can minimize the problem in the future.

Thanks,

JV

Guy
08-12-2006, 03:17 PM
Maybe damage from the autowashes?

LastDetail
08-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Those appear to be regular good old-fashioned swirl marks more than likely a direct result of automatic car washes.

To remove those I would recommend polishing with a mild to medium cut polish. It will be a lot easier to polish with an orbital buffer. I highly recommend researching these forums for the proper technique in buffing.

You can also hire a professional detailer to do the work for you.

OR

You can use a glaze or wax that contains a lot of "fillers" which will help to hide the swirls, however; as the fillers wear away the swirls will once again appear.

To help prevent the recurrence of swirls and light scratches it is highly recommended that you stop visiting automatic car washes, (sometimes referred to as "tunnel washes"), and utilize the "two bucket method" for you future car washing endeavors.

mblgjr
08-12-2006, 03:55 PM
^^ The above post sums up your situation 100%.

Read the forums and do your research, you may be able to find a competent detailer in your area, or invest your time to do it yourself. Though it seems like a daunting task, many of todays products are very easy to work with and yeild outstanding results.

johnnyv
08-13-2006, 07:06 AM
I`ve used Meguirs Scratch-X in the past for a few scratches in the past. Do you think that should work on this problem.

As I hand buffed a little of the photos were taken it seem to cloud a little. I`m thinking old wax residue?

JV