PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning out tint adhesive

Murrayhe
08-11-2006, 11:39 PM
Are there any good chemicals that will clean out tint adhesive without too much scrubbing, and will be effective?

I`m not actually removing tint paper from a car window. It`s a tint paper for a sign (made of clear plastic, looks kinda like glass). There`s sticky stuff all over it from the previous tint paper.

Thanks!

imported_GregCavi
08-12-2006, 12:23 AM
3m adhesive remover might just do the trick.

Greg

velobard
08-12-2006, 07:14 AM
Someone recently posted about using a Magic Eraser. They used the method of spraying ammonia on tint film, putting a garbage bag over that for a couple hours in the sun, pulling off the film, then cleaned up residue with a ME

TimTurner
05-03-2012, 06:24 AM
Someone recently posted about using a Magic Eraser. They used the method of spraying ammonia on tint film, putting a garbage bag over that for a couple hours in the sun, pulling off the film, then cleaned up residue with a ME

I think it might be good thing to go to a car window tinting (http://window-tinting-dallas.com/window-tinting-mckinney.html) shop and let them do the job.

tom p.
05-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Are there any good chemicals that will clean out tint adhesive without too much scrubbing, and will be effective?

I`m not actually removing tint paper from a car window. It`s a tint paper for a sign (made of clear plastic, looks kinda like glass). There`s sticky stuff all over it from the previous tint paper.

Oggle, is this on the rear glass (w/defroster grid)? Or side or front glass?

If it`s the later, I`ve used a razor blade scraper and lots of Windex.

The rear glass can be more of a challenge. IIRC, they use a solvent, #0000 steel wool + lots of dwell time.

Jamie 80
05-03-2012, 10:07 AM
I recently removed some tint from a car. Cover the dash, door panels, back dash with some plastic. Use Windex and a razor blade, you will use alot of window cleaner kinda of like lube when you are claying a car. It is not an easy chore but it will remove it. Be really careful of all the rubbers around the edges with the razor blade. Hope this helps and good luck.

Alfisti
05-03-2012, 01:00 PM
I use a citrus based solvent for all glue residues on glass. Works better than any solvent I`ve tried and non-toxic.

I don`t know what you get in the States but I use something like this:

http://orangepower.com.au/images/product_lge/OP_bottle_goo.gif

imported_MCA
05-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Talk about a necro-post/thread...from 2006...

SpoolinNoMore
05-03-2012, 11:01 PM
In case someone is searching for this, nowadays the *BEST* adhesive remover I`ve used is Tar-X. It`s pricey for price/oz, but it`s much worth it when you figure how many hours you`ll save by adhesive and tar melting away instead of scrubbing at it. Sorry it seems like I`m riding Tar-X`s jock, but it`s been one of those products that has seriously "wow`ed" me.