PDA

View Full Version : waffle weave towels....what my problem?

Pages : [1] 2

Envious Eric
08-11-2006, 11:05 PM
every single time I use my waffle weave towels I scratch the hell out of my car/other cars that i am polishing out. I wash all my MF towels with laundry detergent only, no fabric softener. i wash the car and when I go to dry, I use the waffle weave towels and drag them across the surface of the paint ever so lightly....and it still scratches like i am pressing really really hard with a rough towel....whats going on?

Rocket
08-11-2006, 11:07 PM
Where are the towels from? Maybe it`s the quality of the towel

cruisemainst
08-11-2006, 11:08 PM
maybe the car isnt clean enough yet? or check if there are dirt particles in your towels?

BigAl3
08-11-2006, 11:08 PM
i stopped using ww`s for a while now (one of the reasons being your`s) and use a nice large thick mf drying towel (why not use mf to dry, right? we use them to qd, remove polish/wax, etc.. anyway), and haven`t looked back. i sometimes mist some qd to each panel as i dry and that seems to work pretty well. everyone has their preference though, there is no wrong or right as long as it works for you.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/medium/IM000092.JPG

imported_GregCavi
08-11-2006, 11:10 PM
I highly reccomend using 2 high qaulity ww towels to BLOT dry. Also spray some QD prior to blotting to give some extra lubrication. First blot the panel with the first towel and finish off with the second towel. I have had great success really limiting/eliminating marring caused by dragging the towel on the paint surface.

Greg

mblgjr
08-11-2006, 11:14 PM
I`ve had no troubles with my WW.

I get them from Scott @ Specialty Motoring.

Even on black cars...no problems.

Maybe you have dried soap in your towels? Or maybe just streaking?

Envious Eric
08-11-2006, 11:49 PM
yeah its not streaking because I can wipe the car with my finger and the "streaks" dont go away, they are scratches....

i`ll try some drying towels next because I have the meguiars and pakshack towels and they are not working out just right for me....

ManiZ
08-12-2006, 01:06 AM
I`ve been using my PB ww for over three months now. Got it from Bob at Danase and have had no issues with it whatsoever. Whether drying after shampooing or using ONR, it works flawlessly on my red paint. WW`s absorbency is tough to beat, IMO. Hard as I try, I can`t get a single drop out of it after doing the entire car with ONR.

Evenflow
08-12-2006, 02:19 AM
Been using Meguiars Water Magnet and haven`t had any problems

velobard
08-12-2006, 07:11 AM
Have you noticed at other times that your paint is especially soft? Maybe its just cuz my car is getting painted now, but first thing that occurs to me is whether your car was repainted and waxed too soon so it never finished curing.

ararock1
08-12-2006, 08:36 AM
If you bought your WW towels from Pak, then they are high quality towels and are not scratching your car. I have been using MF towels from Pak on my black Lexus for 5 or 6 years with no problems.

A good MF towel, whether WW or not, will not scratch by itself. There has to be some grit somewhere.

Accumulator
08-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Some WWs are a *lot* softer than others. The softest of mine don`t mar my Jag`s soft lacquer but my "regular" ones (like the BBT) will.

And sometimes WWs (and other textiles) get less-than-soft over time. Try washing them numerous times with *no* detergent, just plain water. Then put some distilled white vinegar in the last rinse cycle. If that doesn`t work, maybe try one of the "microfiber specific" detergents. While I can`t for the life of me understand *why*, those detergents do better on my MFs than any others I`ve tried, and I`ve tried a lot of different ones.

[Insert Accumulator`s acknowledgement that there is no apparent reason why the MF-detergents should work so well ;) I`ve heard all the arguments but, in practice, those detergents just plain *work dramatically better* for me..]

joyriiide1113
08-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Are you using a powder or liquid laundry detergent?

If its liquid, I guess all I can suggest is get better ones?

tustah
08-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Tide w/ Febreeze

mikebai1990
08-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Are you using a powder or liquid laundry detergent?

If its liquid, I guess all I can suggest is get better ones?

And if it`s powder, stop using it :) Some particles of powder detergent may stay on your towel and potentially scratch the paint.