PDA

View Full Version : Zaino`ing a black Lexus IS300

THT
08-11-2006, 07:04 PM
I`m being taught to use my new PC7424 on a black Lexus IS300 this weekend. I primarily use Zaino and have, more or less, the entire Zaino arsenal. I also have the SONUS SFX 1 &2 polishes and Swirlbuster (w/ SB pad). Assuming there`s moderate swirling, would I be best served using ZPC w/ the yellow SFX pad followed by Swirlbuster on the SB pad? Any advice would be appreciated.

*edit: Crud, I just noticed I put this in the wrong forum...

jmsc
08-11-2006, 07:25 PM
w/o seeing it in pics or in person I would start with ZFX + Yellow on 1 small panel and see what you get. Then go accordingly from there.

Does this Lexus have a clearcoat or a basecoat? It would be nice to know before swirl removal begins.

THT
08-11-2006, 10:09 PM
w/o seeing it in pics or in person I would start with ZFX + Yellow on 1 small panel and see what you get. Then go accordingly from there.

Does this Lexus have a clearcoat or a basecoat? It would be nice to know before swirl removal begins.

The owner mentioned that Lexus paint is a mixture of clearcoat and paint...if there`s any truth to that, I don`t know. Otherwise, I would expect like any modern finish, it would be clearcoated.

imported_chpsk8
08-11-2006, 10:27 PM
I`d check to see if it is clearcoated first. A lot of black Lexus` are not clearcoated. My GS300 is, but I just did a black LS and my pads turned black indicating that it was not clearcoated.

Take a look around this forum, you may want to switch to something other than Zaino for a look that really pops. I only use ZAino in the winter now and use RMG and Nattys all summer for a really kickass wer look. :D

just a thought...

RAG
08-11-2006, 10:49 PM
The owner mentioned that Lexus paint is a mixture of clearcoat and paint...if there`s any truth to that, I don`t know. Otherwise, I would expect like any modern finish, it would be clearcoated.

Where did the owner get this iformation...I`ve been trying to find out more about their paint. I`ve detailed several Lexus` where a small amount of color (black) transferred to my pads, but not enought to lead me to believe it was single stage paint. It behaves, feels, and polishes just like traditional CC/BC paint. We`ve had a couple discussions regarding this on this forum, and I think Scottwax even suggested that possibly they used tinted clearcoat.

IME, it buffs just like traditional CC/BC systems. I actually like the Lexus black paint...not nearly as hard as some to correct...though nobody ever thinks black is easy to correct or maintain.

I`ve never used ZPC, but I suspect it won`t be strong enough if there is anything more than very minor swirls. I have used SFX - it is a good polish, but isn`t designed to tack heavy swirls. You may need to use something a little stronger, like DACP or IP, and then I`d finish down with a pad softer than the orange SB pad (this pad is a bit firm for finishing on black paint). If you can, get your hands on some Po106FF for finishing on black, otherwise, SFX 1 and 2 finish down fairly well on black.

RAG
08-11-2006, 10:52 PM
I`d check to see if it is clearcoated first. A lot of black Lexus` are not clearcoated. My GS300 is, but I just did a black LS and my pads turned black indicating that it was not clearcoated.

Take a look around this forum, you may want to switch to something other than Zaino for a look that really pops. I only use ZAino in the winter now and use RMG and Nattys all summer for a really kickass wer look. :D

just a thought...

chp, how much black came off on your pads. Because with old school SS black, you`ll normally get A TON of color on your pads. Do you think the paint on that LS could have been some kind of hybrid clear/base paint?

SpoiledMan
08-11-2006, 11:16 PM
Well, I`ve been a singer of the "tinted clear" story with Lexus black as that what I was told by someone in the know. I buffed a spot on my sisters IS that was deep enough to have been through any coat of clear that I`ve seen. It buffed out and looks just like the rest of the paint around it. Based on that experience, I say SS.

Before anyone asks. Yes, she wanted me to do whatever it took as the other option was to have it repainted.

Ryan, to answer your question about how much transfer. There was LOTS of it!!!!

THT
08-11-2006, 11:43 PM
In case anyone was wondering, from my.is:

Reds are sometimes single stage too, for example a red S2000 is single stage. The only Toyota/Lexus color I know of that was ever single stage was black. All black IS300`s are single stage, I believe black IS250/350`s are also (not confirmed), I also know that most pre-2000 black toyota/lexus cars were single stage.

On an obviously related note - single stage is not inherently worse than two stage (clear coated). The difference is often misunderstood, and is very much misunderstood by dealers. They tell customers a car "doesn`t have a clear coat" and the customer freaks out and "buys" one from the dealer (which is really just a dealer applied sealant).

A "clear-coated" car has a layer of clear paint (acrylic enamel) over layers of pigmented paint (the color), so you have a thin clear layer, called a clear coat, which lets you choose how glossy the car appears and also protects it from oxidizing, fading, etc.

Single stage just has the same acrylic enamels mixed into the pigmented paint. It`s protected from oxidization, fading, and the environment the same way - the enamels naturally migrate into the top 10% of the paints layer, so you esentially have all the protection in the top of the pigmented paint instead of laying over it. It isn`t that single stage has no "clear coat", it`s just integrated into the colored paint. I can`t stress that point enough. If at any point a dealer tells you that a car color doesn`t have the protection of a clear coat, or needs some sort of dealer installed option or environmental paint package, he is either ignorant or lying.

What does this mean? Well in terms of durabilty general single stage is slightly less durable than two stage paint. By slightly I mean *very* slightly with a capical V. Over 15-25 years you may have a little more fading in a single stage job, so little though that you would be hard pressed to notice it.

jedi_force
08-12-2006, 02:18 AM

just a thought...

Have you tried the new Z5Pro? I own GS300 as well and I`d like to see your

kickass wet look. :-) Pictures please.

imported_paradigm
08-12-2006, 03:30 AM
talking about paint transfer onto the pad...if that happens, is the pad trashed for use on other vehicles, or does it usually clean up ok after?

Evenflow
08-12-2006, 03:33 AM
talking about paint transfer onto the pad...if that happens, is the pad trashed for use on other vehicles, or does it usually clean up ok after?

It should easily clean up. What I usually do is throw it in the washing machine, and the paint rinses out problem free.

imported_chpsk8
08-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Have you tried the new Z5Pro? I own GS300 as well and I`d like to see your

kickass wet look. :-) Pictures please.

Yup. I have some Z5Pro in the garage. Do`nt get me wrong, Zaino is ok and gives a nice shine. Great duranbility, but a little plasticy for me, but I like it for the winter.

I know I have a few pictures of the GS somewhere. I found one, but it was to show reflection and not depth. The Miata is the same process, so that should give you an idea. (ignore the rockers, I wasn`t done) Process is Menzerna Polish, Red Moose Glaze, and Nattys Blue. Lasts about 4-6 weeks.

To answer the other question. There was a LOT of paint transfer! If you head over to ClubLexus there is a lot of discussion on the topic of clear or no clear. The paint codes for most black Lexus` do not call for clear, just black, although it is different from yhear to year. I think it`s one of the many mysteries of our religion. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/chpsk8/Lexus-Clean-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/chpsk8/clean-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/chpsk8/Clean-1.jpg

SDLexus
08-12-2006, 04:30 PM
The way I understand it is that Lexus Black is SS. The clear is mixed with the base so technically there is a CC. 99% of the people that I`ve heard of with a black Lexus do experience paint transfer when polishing.