PDA

View Full Version : Paint sealant questions

wolfe
08-11-2006, 03:02 PM
I`m planning to use paint sealant on my car, but have a few questions about it`s application.

Am I right in thinking I need to completely strip all wax etc. off the paint before applying it?

Any swirl removers, paint cleaners, scratch remover etc. needs to be used before the paint sealant goes on, correct?

Once the paint sealant has dried & been buffed off, do I just apply a couple of coats of wax or is there any intermediate step?

The directions on the bottle aren`t completely clear about what prep you need to do first, or what step you do after.

Thanks for any help!

TigerMike
08-11-2006, 03:05 PM
1) Yes, strip any old wax off, to start with a fresh, clean paint surface, but if you are going to use a swirl remover or paint cleaner, this will accomplish old wax removal.

2) Yes, do any swirl removal and paint cleaning BEFORE applying the sealant.

3)Not sure I completely understand your last question. The paint sealant IS you protection, so there is really no need to apply a wax afterwards. Some people do, just to alter the looks of the paint. Typically, paint sealants offer greater protection and durability than traditional waxes.

BTW, what sealant product are you using?

imported_smprince1
08-11-2006, 04:00 PM
Easy to remember this way ... correct then protect.

Correct = clean, clay, oxidation removal, defect removal, swirl removal, polish, etc.

Protect = seal or wax

wolfe
08-11-2006, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the help. I was told the wax after the sealant would be cosmetic only & make it look a bit glossier, is that correct?

Also, how long should the sealant last before it needs redoing?

imported_paradigm
08-12-2006, 03:35 AM
from what i`ve read from fellow autopians, many top the sealant w/ a carnuba wax to improve the "depth" of the paint. sealants typically have a higher shine to them than wax (though people in the know on here have stated this is changing as sealants improve). the sealant should give ~25-60% longer protection compared to a typical wax (wide range due to weather conditions, amount of upkeep inbetween applications, etc).

SO, if you add a wax on top, i would guess that gives the sealant itself protection...then as the wax breaks down over 1-2 months the sealant`s durability begins to decrease now that it is exposed. basically, sealants should last long enough that you will have already reapplied something to start the durability clock again anyway (4-6 months is typical for a sealant).

wolfe
08-13-2006, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the help!

One more question, if I use a paint cleaner first, can I then apply sealant or should I wash the car inbetween?

Thanks again

ChicagoVTX
08-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Paint cleaner then the sealant there is no need for a wash in between.

a.k.a. Patrick
08-13-2006, 09:45 PM
IMO, theres really not any discernable difference in topping a sealant with a Nuba. I just dont get it. But thats me.

Theres some great sealants out there (Im not even going to get started) To be able to tell a difference in appearance/depth in adding a coat of Nuba is beyond me....I just dont see it. But thats me, Im in my mid 40`s, and yes, the eyes arent as sharp as they use to be. But then again, where the eyes fail, the mind makes up for......

Additional slickness? Durability? Depth? Shine? Its in the mind of the beholder........

When I detail, I look for just a few things. Clarity, color, reflection, and sharpness.......To make reds redder, blacks blacker is really (IMO) in the mindset. I mean if others cant witness it, what have you actually accomplished?

I think what your actually trying to accomplish, is a return to the paints original condition, right? (minus obvious swirls and scratches)

My $.02

wannafbody
08-13-2006, 09:58 PM
in reality the subtel differences discussed here at times are only discernable when viewing panels with different products side by side. In essance it`s a non issue as long as you like the final look.

a.k.a. Patrick
08-13-2006, 10:00 PM
Lol, I guess that raps that up, thanks Wanna.........lol

deadlock32
08-13-2006, 10:00 PM
But sealant doesnt seem to hold its ground agains bird bombs and water etching as wax does. I consider it a little better over all protection to have a caranuba top for my sealant.

a.k.a. Patrick
08-13-2006, 11:21 PM
Wow, I find quite the opposite......