PDA

View Full Version : How long before applying speed glaze to new paint?

Sad, little man
08-10-2006, 07:31 PM
I just got one half of my car repainted about three weeks ago, and it needs to look really nice for a special occasion Saturday, and I was wondering if it`d be ok to use megs speed glaze on the freshly painted part to clean up some swirls and shine it up. I`ve heard it won`t block paint offgassing, but I wasn`t sure if the paint is hardened enough to use it. I`d probably just apply it by hand fwiw.

Thomas Dekany
08-10-2006, 08:32 PM
yes it is ok.

Accumulator
08-10-2006, 08:37 PM
#80 won`t interfere with the outgassing, but the initial cut of its (generally mild) abrasives can sometimes be too much for recently-shot paint. I`ve had it cause surprisingly nasty micromarring that I had a terrible time removing. This was on a fairly fresh b/c repaint (RM brand paint FWIW) that *had* been baked. After a few more weeks the paint hardened up a bit and there were no more problems of that nature but for a while there I had to use even milder abrasives than those in the #80.

I`d err on the side of caution and use a nonabrasive product for the time being. My fave for this is Meg`s #5, but their other "pure polishes" are all fine (#3/#7/#81/Deep Crystal step #2), as are 3M IHG and the Mother`s glaze.

After a few more weeks you can try the #80 if there`s any marring you`d like to correct, just try a small spot first. Once the paint has hardened up enough it oughta repond fine to the #80.

Sad, little man
08-10-2006, 08:49 PM
I thought the deep crystal step 2 polish had fillers in it.

Accumulator
08-10-2006, 08:52 PM
I thought the deep crystal step 2 polish had fillers in it.

While some expert at meguiar`s would probably spank us for using the word "fillers" (as opposed to maybe "trade secret oils" ;) ), yeah, *ALL* the products I mentioned have them. No problem with that IMO, sure won`t hurt the new paint any. The fillers/oils/"stuff" is what makes them worth using- they provide a little minimal protection and shine things up a bit. Then they wash away quickly because that`s all they are- fillers and oils. Dunno if I`m clarifying this as much as I`d like :o

velobard
08-10-2006, 10:18 PM
Yup, I`ve got my #5 and DC #2 ready for when I pick my car up with a fresh paint job on Tuesday. I`d been hoping for tomorrow, but I`d rather they take their time to do it right than worry about me rushing them. They`ll bake the paint, but I have a feeling it would be best if I still give the fresh paint a few days to cure before I even glaze. I also have some RMG I just received that I`m anxious to see how it looks on the car, so I`ll try that out a few times.