PDA

View Full Version : Help! Trying to Remove an Old ClearBra for a Customer

bronze2006
08-09-2006, 10:18 PM
Hi

I have a very good customer (I did full details on three of his cars last week) who had me detail one of his employee`s cars today. It is a white mid-90s BM 318 sedan with an old clear bra that is now really ugly with scratches and dirt under them. I tried to remove it but instead of peeling straight off, it kept disentegrating into little pieces so it would take me hours to remove the bra this way. Does anyone know an effective way to remove the clearbra? I am going back tomorrow morning to try to remove it so and advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

BoxsterCharlie
08-09-2006, 10:27 PM
I haven`t done it myself but I`ve heard a hair dryer will loosen up the adhesive. I wouldn`t pull out a heat gun, though!

velobard
08-09-2006, 10:33 PM
Hmmm, the only thing that comes to mind for me is the technique I`ve seen for getting tint film off the back window without hurting the defroster grid. Spray with straight ammonia, then cover with a plastic garbage bag in the sun a few hours to loosen it up.

imported_themightytimmah
08-09-2006, 11:07 PM
I use a heat gun actually, keep it moving and on low heat, keep touching the panel to make sure you don`t overheat it, as long as you can hold your hand against it without discomfort you`ll be fine - think about it, a black car in the sun gets hotter than that.

Once you get it nice and warm, use a plastic razor blade to take it off, take the residue out with 3M tar and adheasive remover, Tarminator, or equivalent. If you try it without the heat gun - you *will* regret it.

deadlock32
08-09-2006, 11:34 PM
you think a plastic razor + heating it up would work well?

imported_Totoland Mach
08-10-2006, 06:19 AM
I recently removed a set of 12 year old, chipped and cracked vinyl pinstripes that went the entire length of a Pathfinder.

I tried the heat gun, but it seemed to take forever. Then my wife bought out a little steamer she got from Costco (can`t remember the name), but it has a nice pointy nozzle. So, I used it to heat the vinyl and got started at one end holding the steam nozzle just ahead of where I was pulling. It worked great! Continuous pulling and keeping the nozzle just in front of the pull softened the stripes and off it came.

After that, I still had to remove the adhesive but that was easy with paint reducer and a rag.

BTW...the steamer was a cheapie and totally worthless for door jambs, etc.

Totoland Mach