PDA

View Full Version : Best polish for a beginner

Shawn G
08-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Hi, I have a year old Mini Cooper S with some very minor swirls. I have always washed it with care and it still looks almost new. I went with Zaino for the first 6 months and then switched to P21s and #26 for a softer look.

I`m planning to get a PC with some pads to prep the surface for my next big detail.

What would be a good polish to use? IP and FPII or SSR2.5 and SSR1. Maybe just FPII with a light cutting pad and the same with a finishing pad?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shawn

imported_DennisH
08-09-2006, 09:39 PM
I have a chile red mini-s and I have been using IP/FP and it finishes down nicely. You might want to try FP on polishing pad first before going more abrasive since the clear isn`t really hard. You will still need IP for the more serious defects. I started out with Zaino but have topped it with NB to get more depth. :2thumbs:

SpoiledMan
08-09-2006, 09:44 PM
For a beginner, I`d go with the Optimum line. You`ll have to work it longer BUT you won`t have the frustration of the dusting that is very common with Menzerna and the PC.

ret
08-09-2006, 09:59 PM
IMO the combo of Menzerna IP and FPII is :2thumbs:

IP can in most cases/colors, finish down to a swirl free / haze free finish by PC, and without the need to make a final pass with FPII.

You`ll hear some chater about the Menzerna products "being rotary polishes"....My experiance is that these polishes work great when applied by a PC.

Good polishes are good polishes, for beginners or pros.

RET

Pb2theMax
08-09-2006, 10:14 PM
If you`re getting a PC then I would look into the SwirlBuster polish and pad. It`s pretty easy to use and produced amazing results for me.

imported_Denzil
08-10-2006, 04:50 AM
Try Optimum or Poorboy`s. You`ll be happy.

Shawn G
08-10-2006, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. I will look into optimum also.

Thanks,

Shawn

imported_Bence
08-11-2006, 09:17 AM
Wise choice!!!

RAG
08-11-2006, 09:55 AM
For a beginner, I`d go with the Optimum line. You`ll have to work it longer BUT you won`t have the frustration of the dusting that is very common with Menzerna and the PC.

I`ll go with that notion (even though Menzerna is my fav, Optimim in great and is easier to use).

RAG
08-11-2006, 09:57 AM
You`ll hear some chater about the Menzerna products "being rotary polishes"....My experiance is that these polishes work great when applied by a PC.

RET

Not a chance...DA or rotary, Menzerna rocks. A lot of dust via DA though (because if the jiggle action). But the extremely small abrasives make it dynamite via DA!

SpoiledMan
08-11-2006, 10:00 AM
Yeah, if you follow my posts you know that I`m a Menzerna guy all the way but for a beginner, Optimum is ideal as it`s just very easy to work with as long as you remain patient.

Guy
08-11-2006, 10:28 AM
I just tried Optimum polish and am very impressed! Took out bird drop etchings and swirls that I have gone over with other products.