PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Question

nitro420
08-08-2006, 02:41 PM
I am new to this forum and detailing in general. My first car already had a horible coat of paint so i really didnt care for it much, now i am looking into getting a new car and i am researching detailing techniques. I believe its wash, polish and then wax correct? other wise there are two questions i have.

1. what is a clay bar for and how do you use it or know when to use it

2. also if you wash your car say every sunday and you are supposed to wax 3-4 times a year do you just wash and polish the following week or would you wash, polish and wax again? thanks for your help in advance and this community is great reference for newbies such as my self

01bluecls
08-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Lots of info can be found on the learn button at the top of the page. Links you to great advice. To shortly answer your questions.

1. Clay bar "pulls" bonded contaminents from the paint the washing and even polishing wont get. Ex. Some tar, bugs, sap, general polution, etc.) Recommend claying the car at least twice a year before polishing. Sometimes between polishing I will use the clay bar for bugs or tar behind the tires on the paint.

2. Depending on your environmental surroundings and whether your car is garaged or not, I recommend waxing every one to two months if possible and general polishing as needed or twice a year. Once you get the finish polished out and the way you like it. Learn proper techniques of washing the car so polishing will be less needed in the future.

01bluecls
08-08-2006, 03:01 PM
Another note, you need the to wash the car right before polishing, then after polishing apply wax or sealant. Polishing is just removing defects and getting the finish to looks its best. Waxing is adding a layer of protection against the elements to help protect the paint.

nitro420
08-08-2006, 03:46 PM
sorry it doesnt really quite answer my second question. if you detail your car weekly say the first time you wash it, polish it and wax it. what are the required steps the next time you wash it do you have to wash, polish and wax it all over again?

01bluecls
08-08-2006, 04:38 PM
The time you wash, polish and wax your car, then the following weeks you will just wash it weekly and wax it occasionally (wax every 2 months or so).