PDA

View Full Version : Why all the dusting?

Strs90
08-08-2006, 12:48 PM
I tried my new PC w/ sfx pads for the first time yesterday.

I had a horrible time with what I think is called dusting. The polish dried extreme fast and flung specs of hard polish everywhere. I read to prep the pad by spraying it with water but that didn`t help me really. I ran the PC on speed 5. Is there anything I can do to help this? For the record I polished it in a garage early in the morning and the truck was cool. I am sure someone is going to tell me I worked it too long but I hardly had a chance before it started to dry and their was not caked on polish on the pad.

Secondly I used 1/3 of the sfx2 10oz. bottle on just the hood and areas around the doors. Each time I went over a 2`x2` areas I used two rings of polish on the pad. I read somewhere that I am only suppose to do that the first time and then after the pad is wet I only need a few pea size drops for the rest of the truck. Even as I was using a lot of polish it seemed to not be enough compared to the video I watched on http://paintcare-n-detailing.com

While typing this I went back to look at the pics on that website and noticed their is polish dust all around the edges of the area he is working on.. Is this normal? I plan to try spraying quick detailer on the pad instead of water tommorow and trying again. Is this a good idea?

Finally, What speed, how much product, and how much pressure should I use for each of the following steps? Do I need to wait for any of the following to cure before moving on to the next step?

1.) Sfx 2 pad and polish

2.) Sfx 3 pad and polish

3.) Sfx 3 pad and Klasse AIO

4.) Sfx 3 pad and P21S carnauba wax?

I was worried my pad and polish wasn`t going to be strong enough but it looks like it took out 90% of the swirls seen in this pic. I would post an after pic but the truck is at the dealer today for two recalls.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l314/Strs90/PB210023.jpg

imported_themightytimmah
08-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Secondly I used 1/3 of the sfx2 10oz. bottle on just the hood and areas around the doors. Each time I went over a 2`x2` areas I used two rings of polish on the pad.

That`s your problem right there. I use FPII out of a little dispenser bottle for my details, and I`d estimate that i get 3-4 cars out of a bottle full - maybe more. In the future, ring the pad good once, then rub all the polish into it with your finger. It`s now primed, you only have to add a big drop (dime sized) per 2X2 area. You`ll see better, easier and faster results with less fling (I use a rotary and a finishing pad and have absolutely no sling).

JeffM
08-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Ya, dont use so much polish, and i dont prime the pad anymore with water either.