PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who have use PO85RD

san~man
08-08-2006, 02:41 AM
Well, got my bottle in today, and the seller even included a nice size sample of 85RE5 for me to try too.

Here`s what I did:

I did only the trunk, since it`s all I had time for.

1. Washed the entire car

2. Cleaned the trunk with CM (no fallout, so I didn`t clay)

3. Used the XMT3 for the first time. Used a light cut orange Edge 200 pad at 5 to 6 on the 7336, and it worked well. Got out almost all the swirls/scratches except the deepest ones (they aren`t down to the metal, fyi). Went slowly, and worked it in about 4-5 minutes per roughly 2x2 section on the trunk.

4. Used the PO85RD with the blue Edge 2000 pad...but did it at a too slow speed :( . Need to do it at a higher speed next time lol.

5. One coat of SG, WO/WO

6. One coat of NB

7. One more coat of CM for good measure.

Now, here`s my questions:

1. Had some light micromarring, so should I have gone down to XMT1 with the blue pad or orange pad before I did the PO85RD, or should the RD at a higher speed take care of the micromarring?

2. For the deeper scratches, should I now go one pad more aggressive with the XMT3? If not, then what? (I have both XMT3 and XMT1)

3. Should I have used my AIO somewhere in there?

Thanks for the help...my head is spinning from all the combinations lol

imported_themightytimmah
08-08-2006, 10:06 AM
PO85RD is a pretty high-speed product, it works best via rotary @1500RPMS but if you`re going to use it via PC, speed 6 is the only one on the dial worth using. It`s almost a "silver bullet" against micromarring , so there`s no need to XMT3 before using it. As for the deeper scratches, you could try XMT1 on a more aggressive pad but I`d suggest getting 4" pads or doing them by hand, a PC with the 6.5`s is not really that effective on deep scratches.

san~man
08-08-2006, 03:25 PM
PO85RD is a pretty high-speed product, it works best via rotary @1500RPMS but if you`re going to use it via PC, speed 6 is the only one on the dial worth using. It`s almost a "silver bullet" against micromarring , so there`s no need to XMT3 before using it. As for the deeper scratches, you could try XMT1 on a more aggressive pad but I`d suggest getting 4" pads or doing them by hand, a PC with the 6.5`s is not really that effective on deep scratches.

Can you explain the advantages of the 4" pad in this situation versus the 6" pad?

imported_themightytimmah
08-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Can you explain the advantages of the 4" pad in this situation versus the 6" pad?

You know how if you put a lot of pressure on the PC, it just bogs down and stops spinning/slows etc. A 4" pad will take a lot more pressure and still keep moving at full speed - it generates more heat to break down more aggressive polishes, and it moves faster with more pressure. You just need to be a little bit careful with it, feel the paint occasionally when using the PC and stop when it`s toasty warm but still touchable - if the paint gets too hot to touch comfortably you`re getting too aggressive.

03COBRA
08-08-2006, 03:47 PM
When you are ready to sell some of the PO85RD please let me know! :p

I haven;t used the XMT stuff so I can`t really give you some idea on what to use before it. I removed some micromarring with 85RD when I used a polishing pad. I would say crank up the speed some. BTW I use a PC with 85RD and have had great results.

imported_rfinkle2
08-08-2006, 04:38 PM
pc and 85rd is awesome. po1066f similar results.