PDA

View Full Version : horribly baked waterspots on glass

cruisemainst
08-08-2006, 01:11 AM
hi, i`ve had my `00 integra since `02 and since then they`ve always had heavily baked on waterspots.. especially crazy ugly ones all over the hatch glass :( . so im guessing these waterspots have been baking in the glass for about 6 years.. in 100+ degree weather sometimes. ive given up after trying clay, aio, and som paint polishes like DACP and SSR3 with a PC. but after discovering this autopia :xyxthumbs , i see that people are using steel wool to get rid of waterspots? im a little afraid of taking steel wool to the glass especially because some people on this site have said that it has scratched their windows. still though. a different grade wool, wont it still marr/ haze up the windows. anyway how are you supposed to use the steel wool. just start scrubbing like sand paper? any information would help.. im really confused! :nixweiss anyway thanks -phil

vulgar_si
08-08-2006, 10:02 AM
I have never tried the steel wool so I can`t comment on the proper steps, but If you did a search you might pull up something.

I had some real bad spots and used a product called Spot X to remove them. Available at Home Depot for about 6 dollars. Very easy to use and completely removed all spotting that I had.

Hope that helps.

ifoam
08-08-2006, 10:21 AM
use vinegar

it cleaned waterspots i couldn`t take off with other things

TigerMike
08-08-2006, 11:11 AM
A glass polish will probably do the trick, although if severe, it may require multiple coats. Zaino and Duragloss make great glass polishes.

cruisemainst
08-08-2006, 11:41 AM
alright so i will try those glass polishes and the spot x first. thanks guys

bkne1
08-08-2006, 01:33 PM
i haved used Bar Keepers friend liquid on windows and it worked well and wont scratch.

Guy
08-08-2006, 02:01 PM
I`ve used the vinegar, Zaino glass polish, and the barkeepers friend, having good results with all. I recently bought a Coleman hand buffer that I use exclusively on windows which works very well!

cruisemainst
08-09-2006, 12:37 AM
are you guys sure these methods will work? i mean these waterposts have been baked on for YEARS

Lou K
08-09-2006, 12:07 PM
hi, i`ve had my `00 integra since `02 and since then they`ve always had heavily baked on waterspots.. especially crazy ugly ones all over the hatch glass :( . so im guessing these waterspots have been baking in the glass for about 6 years.. in 100+ degree weather sometimes. ive given up after trying clay, aio, and som paint polishes like DACP and SSR3 with a PC. but after discovering this autopia :xyxthumbs , i see that people are using steel wool to get rid of waterspots? im a little afraid of taking steel wool to the glass especially because some people on this site have said that it has scratched their windows. still though. a different grade wool, wont it still marr/ haze up the windows. anyway how are you supposed to use the steel wool. just start scrubbing like sand paper? any information would help.. im really confused! :nixweiss anyway thanks -phil

Steel wool can scratch your glass if you are not careful. It will also leave behind particle of the steel wool that will rust and can possibly stain your paint. A friend of mine who has a body shop that caters to high end cars recommended to me bronze wool to clean glass. It will not scratch and will not rust. Here is the URL of the company where I buy it; http://www.briwax-online.com/brswool.html

imported_Surfer
08-09-2006, 02:09 PM
are you guys sure these methods will work? i mean these waterposts have been baked on for YEARSI tried basically everything, only thing that worked was #0000 steel wool and Klasse AIO. Vinegar and other stuff won`t do anything unless the spots are fairly fresh. Not years and years of being baked on/etched, I was in the same boat with my suv.

DilferJr
08-10-2006, 12:49 AM
Dude, I am having success with the #0000 synthetic alone so far. And mine have been baked on pretty good. Hehe. I see not scratching so far. Just crystal clear windows now! At least my door ones...

SVR
08-10-2006, 06:00 AM
Try a 3m waffle cutting pad with rotary or a PC with 3 inch to 6 inch lake country and sonus das pads and either DP glass restorer or Diamondite D3, a glass polish like einszett or a paint leveler (opt hyper etc)

Mask up the trim big time though.

The 3M pad and rotary with DP worked wonders for me