PDA

View Full Version : I had a plan, but now . . . .

MintGTO
08-06-2006, 07:10 PM
I`m not sure, and need some help. Like many others, a new car has prompted me learn to do my own detailing. I`ve learned alot from the many excellent posts in this forum, a big Thank You to everyone for their instructions, observations, comments, examples, etc.

My plan was to practice on other vehicles before doing the new car, one of the practice vehicles is my daily driver, a black 1996 Explorer. So I purchased a new PC7424, LC pads and the Menzema kit with shampoo, FPII, FTG, FMJ, and HGAS for the exterior work.

But, now that I`ve realized that it`s a single stage paint, and I`ve read that Meguiar`s may be the better way to go, I`m wondering if I should follow the Meguiar`s path using #80, #7, AIO, and then choose a carnuba wax for the LSP.

Comments from any who have experience with these two ways of working on a black single stage paint would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Guy

Bigpoppa3346
08-06-2006, 07:20 PM
Just treat SS paint like a clearcoat. Meguiars isn`t nessisarily the best route for SS. Using AIO after #7 is redundant.

ZaneO
08-06-2006, 07:33 PM
The Menzerna route will be just fine. Are you sure it`s a single stage paint?

Todd@RUPES
08-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Using AIO will remove the #7....

You can wax right over #7

MintGTO
08-07-2006, 12:35 AM
Thanks everyone for the helpful comments. Yes, single stage paint, there`s no clear coat.

I missed that #7 and AIO are the same type of product, I`m still trying to get a handle on all these products!!!

So it sounds like one path is as good as the other?