PDA

View Full Version : Sonus SFX and swirls reappearing...

AuAltima3.5
08-05-2006, 01:14 PM
So, I ordered my first "autopian" quality level package about two months ago. Now I have some questions.

First, I used the SFX 1 and 2 polishes on two cars, via PC. Now, on one, I noticed some very minor swirl `comebacks.`

I say comebacks, since I did not touch the paint for over two weeks and swirls `appeared`, which worried me. After a wash with a new Sonus wash mitt, it seemed like about 30% came back. I used the two bucket method, and rinsed before washing. Dirt levels were very minimal.

Another car, I had lots of fine scuffs come back, especially on my rear bumper. This car is left outside. Again, after a week of not washing after this polishing, they came back.

The Sonus bottles say no fillers, but after leaving some on the paint on accident, they left behind this oily residue and the rest was a cool whip like substance.

So, what`s the deal here?

sanfi
08-06-2006, 05:00 PM
bump because i`d like to see some responses as well

CelicaLover
08-06-2006, 05:35 PM
I know for a fact that they don`t have fillers because I use the sfx line myself. I can`t however answer your question as to why the swirls are re-appearing. My guess would be you didn`t see them the first time because of lighting conditions and now your noticing them for the first time.

awahl63
08-06-2006, 06:34 PM
Yeah I believe you are seeing the full swirls for the first time since the detail. It`s hard to always see 100% of swirls with the lighting that is available at that time.

AuAltima3.5
08-06-2006, 08:12 PM
Yes, lighting conditions varied.

Here is how I noticed them: I used a halogen to check my work in my garage. Full sun I don`t see any swirls.

I went to the movies, and noticed that my doors still had some issues that night after polishing.

A couple of weeks later at the gas station, after no one touched the paint, I see more swirls than I remembered seeing at the movies. Went from moderate swirling (didnt make enough passes a few weeks ago) to where it was before polishing - almost.

I just repolished the car yesterday. I spent about six hours with SFX 2, then AIO and have to put a top still. Went to the movies again though, and saw almost no swirling. Will keep you guys posted.

In all fairness, I could be going nuts. Additionally, I do love the quality of sonus products, and their ease of use. My past purchases have been the wash mitt, orange and green MF, sfx 1 and 2, cockpit detailer, and clay.

TGates
08-06-2006, 11:01 PM
The SFX polishes absolutely do not contain fillers. They`re pretty good polishes, but I much prefer the Swirlbuster combo.

dneedsmuscles
08-07-2006, 12:02 AM
Any before and after pics?

velobard
08-07-2006, 04:33 PM
I agree with the others about lighting. It really seems that no one type of lighting is going to show all defects. For example, I`ve seen stuff under halogens that doesn`t show up so much under bright sunshine, and vice versa.

wannafbody
08-07-2006, 05:07 PM
most swirls removers only round the edges off the swirl to make them less noticable and don`t remove them completely

spotpad
08-08-2006, 03:43 AM
maybe it came from your washing technique.

Truthunter
08-09-2006, 03:49 PM
I agree with the others that it was the lighting. I used the the whole SFX line on my red Lexus. After one pass with the SFX-1 I used several different lighting methods in order to verify it worked. I found that using a LED flashlight strait on showed the most detail. I actually had to go over the car 2-3 more times with the SFX-1 in order to remove 90% of the original swirls. Parking lot lights at night seem to be the most revealing because the reflections from the edges of the abrasion marks are more noticable without the higher ambient light levels of daytime camoflauging them.