PDA

View Full Version : Optimum No Rinse question

froll
08-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Even though its been blistering heat in the NE, it won`t be long before Winter is upon us. Once it gets really cold, traditional washing will be out of the question - even in the garage.. So, what do you think about using the Optimum No Rinse which I think even in the cold garage I could bear. I`m more interested in what you all think of this product`s use once there is salt residue after a snow.

tguil
08-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Even though its been blistering heat in the NE, it won`t be long before Winter is upon us. Once it gets really cold, traditional washing will be out of the question - even in the garage.. So, what do you think about using the Optimum No Rinse which I think even in the cold garage I could bear. I`m more interested in what you all think of this product`s use once there is salt residue after a snow.

Right now it`s 97 degrees in Lincoln, Nebraska, and already you`re are plannig for snow and salt. Oh well, my two cents.

I too live in Nebraska and while I have not used Optimum No Rinse, I have used Quick and Easy Wash -- a very similar product, but according to the Autopia gurus not quite as good.

I simply do not have the courage to use only these no rinse products to take off heavy crud. I go to a coin op wash to get off the heavy stuff and then follow up with the no rinse product either at the car wash or at home in my garage. I have used this stuff every which way and regardless of what folks say you will get some micromarring. Not much, but some. I notice it on my black Hemi, but I do not notice it on my wife`s white Tacoma.

I know there will be folks who disagree with what I have said, so be it. I really like QEW and I`m sure that I`d like Qptimum No Rinse. These products are the best alterative to a good shampoo and plenty of rinse water. (By the way, Lincoln is one step away from water rationing. If you live in one of our cities, you may soon not be allowed to break out your hose.)

Tom :cool:

froll
08-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Actually I`m meant N.E. (Northeast) - Pa. The heat has been brutal but I figure one can never plan too early

EMazda3S
08-05-2006, 03:04 PM
Check out this thread:

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67760&highlight=qew

As well as this one:

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32078&highlight=QEW

Just substitute ONR for QEW.

odonnellb
08-05-2006, 09:45 PM
im confused....this doesnt scratch the car...rub the dirt into the paint? I live in mass and the one time i tried to clean my car myself in the winter, the water froze before i could dry it lol.

velobard
08-05-2006, 10:38 PM
im confused....this doesnt scratch the car...rub the dirt into the paint?

Actually, it seems to do a pretty dang good job of floating the dirt off the surface or encapsulating the dirt or something. It`s been discussed here a little before and for whatever reason, it does seem to work.

Ecodetail
08-06-2006, 12:38 AM
Micro-marring is usually the fear of many when they hear about ONR, however shampoo washes daily mar car finishes. Each time I see a black car drive by with wash induced swirls and marrings i shake my head and wonder why many careless about their car. Inevitable friction generated by human and environmental contact with automobile finishes causes scratches, swirls and marrings. However, wash is by far more culpable than any other factor. Bucket filled with shampoo will not solve the problem, when folks take dirty wash mitt in dirty shampoo bucket to their car finish...when individuals scrub automobile paint as though it was porous. I believe the chief goal of car wash is to remove loose grim that comes from exposure to the environment. After this is done, more specialized cleaning can be done to remove tar, grease, rail dust e.t.c ONR cleans as good as any car shampoo, however lt requires right technique and tools. For my method, I spray down each panel with a mixture of ONR and distilled water wipe in one direction with zero pressure so that premium grade microfiber can do its job without being bugged down. Then I flip the towel, spray down second time and apply low pressure to pick up fine dirt still left behind. My last spray down is with Quick detailer made with Optimum No Rinse, I sray sparingly and buff dry with shorter nap side of wayne`s microfiber towel. One whole side of a mid-size car will take me five minutes. The whole wash process without tires 20 minutes. One directional wipe with ZERO pressure on first wipe and low pressure on second wipe will virtually eliminate swirls and significantly reduce marring. I`ve been using this product on Ferrari, Aston Martin and other delicate finishes with great success. During rain for additional lubricity I spray down panels with FK425 diluted with distilled water 60/40 before ONR spray.