PDA

View Full Version : My first rotary attempt....

Pages : [1] 2

whitejavaS500
08-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Well, I practiced for about 30 min on my junk car, then went to the swirled aero.

First Impressions

MUCH harder to use/get used to than the PC. Alot heavier and harder to manuver. The results were not only quicker, but way better. I think the rotary will deff be my new favorite tool. :waxing:

I used-

Wash/Clay

SSR1 on an EDGE 2000 Green @ 1500

S100

Before || After

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/9555/copyofdsc04222dd5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Questions/ Comments?

jmsc
08-04-2006, 06:42 PM
I`ve thought about a rotary but my PC works great for the kind of work that I mostly do.

So I`m just curious about your statement:

"The results were not only quicker, but way better".

I can see where its quicker but can you explain a little about the "way better"? Do you mean more shine, a higher gloss, more slickness, longer durability?

mikebai1990
08-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Glad to hear that your rotary experience was good. The pictures look slightly blurry, but there is a marked improvement. Good job!

dmxsoulja3
08-04-2006, 07:32 PM
SSR1? and it cut swirls? like that? is the rotary that much of a miracle tool?

01bluecls
08-04-2006, 08:08 PM
Rotary is unbelievable tool!!! I mean I still use the PC, but the rotary is must!

dmxsoulja3
08-04-2006, 08:19 PM
man I mind as well get a rotary and a bunch of junk yard doors and just start learning because if you can use ssr1 and remove swirls like that I`m wasting my time with the pc :)

imported_themightytimmah
08-04-2006, 10:37 PM
"The results were not only quicker, but way better".

I can see where its quicker but can you explain a little about the "way better"? Do you mean more shine, a higher gloss, more slickness, longer durability?

I can`t speak for Java, but I find that the final gloss I get with FPII via rotary is better than that with a Cyclo and noticeably better than a PC. While most people only look at the rotary as a cutting tool and prefer to finish up with a PC, a rotary with a finishing pad and Menzerna FPII is very easy to learn on, hard to burn paint on and once you learn how to finish out compounding is a breeze. Learn to finish swirl-free on black on a junk panel, and I betcha you`ll only reach for the PC for waxing and super-soft paint (Honda comes to mind).

EdLancer
08-04-2006, 10:42 PM
The rotary is the heavy artillery and the PC is the infantry !

Hey, Moe!
08-05-2006, 12:45 AM
I will agree with the rotary comments. I`m sure that it does wonders; I have seen that in the pics posted by many of our "gurus."

I have been fortunate that the last handful of vehicles that I have owned were new when they were mine. The local dealer did not add swirls, etc, so I had a clean slate to work with.

For me, the PC works fine. For many others, the rotary is the tool of choice.

I don`t think I would work with a rotary without getting a junk body part to work on first. But, I am in awe of the work that those magicians produce.

porta
08-05-2006, 03:23 AM
The rotary is the heavy artillery and the PC is the infantry !

Not if you use a finishing pad and a fine polish like Menzerna PO85RD, much quicker and gives a better results then using a Cyclo.

D Tailor
08-05-2006, 07:39 AM
Great job on your 1st go at it. Your pictures illustrate exactly why rotary users exist....looks great!

wannafbody
08-05-2006, 09:41 AM
use the rotary for cutting and polishing and follow up with a PC for removing any remaining hollogramming (if there`s any)

Todd@RUPES
08-05-2006, 09:41 AM
Yeah the rotary is great blah blah blah, until you pull it in direct sun light and see buffer trails everwhere...

porta
08-05-2006, 10:05 AM
use the rotary for cutting and polishing and follow up with a PC for removing any remaining hollogramming (if there`s any)

Try the rotary for that work sometimes. Just use a finishing pad, fine polish and low rpm. Promise it will go faster and with better results.

Brian_Brice
08-05-2006, 10:31 AM

why not remove the remaining hollogramming with the rotary, finishing pad, finishing polish? if you can use a rotary you can use it for everything. including application of lsps. there is definitely a learning curve and i took that route on my work truck but after a few hours it will feel like part of your arm.