PDA

View Full Version : rough finish

kdesi
08-03-2006, 06:36 PM
hey ppls...I had my car repainted like last year in the summer and it was in storage at my dads garage for the winter...well for some reason ever sense I got the car back for summer my car has this rough finish on it now...even after washing it:S...I was thinking of trying to clay bar the car and then use the Turtlewax light scratch and polishing compound by hand and then wax...you think it`ll work?

Rayc777
08-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Wash good and then clay it with lots of lube. That should get the grit out of the paint and make it smooth again.

Derrick

imported_ajbarnes
08-04-2006, 06:41 PM
Wash good and then clay it with lots of lube. That should get the grit out of the paint and make it smooth again.

Derrick

:werd: That`ll pretty much take care of the grit. It sounds as if you accumulated possible overspray and air pollutants (dust, etc.) with the car being in the garage for some time.

kyotousa
10-13-2006, 12:08 PM

Derrick

which clay should i get?

I have the blue bar....(magical something)

but dind`t do much

jimmybuffit
10-13-2006, 07:01 PM
Sorta sounds like the paint was never properly `leveled`.

Pictures, from several angles, would help.

Jim

Superior Shine
10-13-2006, 09:30 PM
Yea that’s it, just clay it.

Throw diagnosis out the window.

If the roughness is from metal partials, solvent pop, or dirt/debris in the new repaint or……. a bunch of other thing don’t worry about it, just clay it. :wall

LeadingEdgeDetail
10-13-2006, 09:53 PM
haha, no ****.

Roughness can be removed with clay, whether it is sap, road salt, metal particles, overspray....

But if that doesn`t work, and if it`s obvious that the paint is just rough, then you will need to wetsand... Not much, just to make it smooth, with 3000grit. Then polish it up with a compound (I prefer Optimum Hyper Compound) either with a rotary, or a PC with 4" cutting pad.

Scottwax
10-13-2006, 11:01 PM
You`d get a lot more responses if you posted this in the general detailing forum instead of here, where the direction of the forum is geared to professionally running a detailing business.

Take some pics and start a new thread in the detailing forum. :)

Superior Shine
10-14-2006, 01:35 AM
You`d get a lot more responses if you posted this in the general detailing forum instead of here, where the direction of the forum is geared to professionally running a detailing business.

Take some pics and start a new thread in the detailing forum. :)

Scott,

Good idea.