PDA

View Full Version : PC newb about to start practicing

imported_paradigm
08-02-2006, 10:55 AM
i`m expecting delivery on my new PC by early next week...i have a few test vehicles lined up (an older black dodge dakota pickup and a honda CRV). i do not expect to make too many mistakes after reading everything i can find on the PC and the related products/pads, but any advice is welcome. the owners do not care what happens to the vehicles because of the age (and i`m sure overall they will look 99% better than to start with!).

products i ordered/own are below.

Hardware:

PC 7424 kit from autogeeks:

Porter Cable 7424

5 Inch Backing Plate

1-6.5 Inch Orange Light Cutting Pad

1-5.5 Inch Orange Light Cutting Pad

2-6.5 Inch White Polishing Pads

2-6.5 Inch Gray Finishing Pad

2 Cobra Microfiber Towels

1 packet of Snappy Clean

Dual Action 6.5" Pad Kit from autogeeks:

1 Orange Light Cutting Pad

2 White Polishing Pad

1 Black Finishing Pad

2 Cobra Indigo Edgeless Microfiber Polishing Cloths

1 Snappy Clean Packet

Pad Conditioning Brush

Products:

Poorboy`s SSR-1, SSR-2.5, Spray & Gloss, QW+ Quick Wax

Duragloss AquaWax 951

Four Star Ultimate Pre-Wax Cleaner

Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection

Four Star Ultimate Paint Protectant Spray

Zaino Kit (2,5,6,7,18, + leather products)

i`ve been using the Zaino on my car (05 acura TL) for about a month and am very happy with it. i ordered the UPP/UPPS to give that a try on the test vehicles.

i`m guessing on the black pickup i should start with the Orange cutting pad and SSR-2.5...then move to a white w/ SSR-1. would i use 4* PWC before, after, or not at all in that process?

thanks!

GlossyTundra
08-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Try polish pad and 2.5 first. Then if that doesent cut it, go to a cut pad. Least aggresive combo first.

Just divide the car up into small sections and work at a slow pace at speed 5 and you should be good.

imported_paradigm
08-02-2006, 01:46 PM
does everyone tape off the trim and emblems when using a PC...or is that mainly for the rotary users? or does it matter more on what products you are using that makes it harder to clean up?

dandydaniel
08-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Not to stomp on your thread, but are pre-wax or paint cleaners necessary before the intial pass of SSR2.5? Or is the clay enough? I`m in the same boat as you are. I have my PC 7336 ready at home and about $200 worth of products en route to my house as we speak.

imported_Denzil
08-03-2006, 04:10 AM
Just remember that it`s not so much the product but rather the process.