PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars #7

DodgeRacer
08-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Back in 1981 I bought a new Corvette and on the advice of a friend who had a 67 Vette with original paint that was still like new, I used Meg`s #7 on my car. It was the only thing that I used and I applied it about every 2 weeks. The car was garaged and covered and only driven on nice days and in the 2 years I had it, it looked great with no swirl marks or anything. Can I apply that process to todays clear coat finishes and expect the same results? Is that product even still available?

What I am trying to do is have a good looking car without a lot of work. I get a company vehicle which I will only keep for a maximum of 12 months, so I don`t want to invest a lot of time and money in claying waxing etc., but I do want a good looking car.

Most of the company cars only get the occasional automatic car wash, but I always hand wash mine and keep it looking good. Would I be better to wash it and use a Quick Detailer after every wash than go with something like the #7 glaze? Maybe a Spray Wax would be better for me? I am retired and I have been reading every post on the forums for the past few weeks and I am probably getting a little information overload, lol.

An opinions would be appreciated. :think2

94BlkStang
08-01-2006, 12:02 PM
Back in 1981 I bought a new Corvette and on the advice of a friend who had a 67 Vette with original paint that was still like new, I used Meg`s #7 on my car. It was the only thing that I used and I applied it about every 2 weeks. The car was garaged and covered and only driven on nice days and in the 2 years I had it, it looked great with no swirl marks or anything. Can I apply that process to todays clear coat finishes and expect the same results? Is that product even still available?

What I am trying to do is have a good looking car without a lot of work. I get a company vehicle which I will only keep for a maximum of 12 months, so I don`t want to invest a lot of time and money in claying waxing etc., but I do want a good looking car.

Most of the company cars only get the occasional automatic car wash, but I always hand wash mine and keep it looking good. Would I be better to wash it and use a Quick Detailer after every wash than go with something like the #7 glaze? Maybe a Spray Wax would be better for me? I am retired and I have been reading every post on the forums for the past few weeks and I am probably getting a little information overload, lol.

An opinions would be appreciated. :think2

There are much better products available today. #7 still does a nice job, but it can be very finicky. I would go with Clearkotes Vanilla Moose as it does an excellent job, offers some minimal protection and is exteemely easy to use. I would also suggest using a sealant such as UPP or Poorboys EX P. It will give you much more protection and UPP is extremely slick. Also get some Clearkote Quickshine for that inbetween QD spritz.

:waxing:

imported_Larry A
08-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Meg # 7 is great for a toy car thats seldom driven, but for a daily driver you need a different product. Great o.t.c. waxes are Megs NXT,Turtle Platinum,Eagle One Nano,Mothers FX and Reflection. The best spray waxes I found are Duragloss Aquawax and Nano spray wax. Aquawax seems to last a long time.

drew.haynes
08-01-2006, 12:11 PM
If you will have it one year, one thing comes to mind - Collinite 476. It is durable like nothing else... garaged it could even last that entire year you have the car. It would probably not hurt it`s durability much to put Vanilla Glaze or Red Moose Glaze under it too.

DodgeRacer
08-01-2006, 12:19 PM
It sounds like everyone thinks that I need a wax even though I will only have the car for a year. I have a bottle of Meg`s Gold Class that I was given. What do you think of that? I guess if I waxed it as soon as I receive the car and just used a QD it would probably last me for the year.

drew.haynes
08-01-2006, 12:27 PM
It sounds like everyone thinks that I need a wax even though I will only have the car for a year. I have a bottle of Meg`s Gold Class that I was given. What do you think of that? I guess if I waxed it as soon as I receive the car and just used a QD it would probably last me for the year.

Few waxes will last that long with only one application. A synthetic product like Zaino could come close to a year. The only WAXES like that are Collinite 476 at about a year, and Collinite 845 at about half a year. But honestly... you can clay a whole car in 30 mins... wax the whole car in 30 mins also... you are looking at 1.5 hours in a year of work if you went with collinite 845.

the other pc
08-01-2006, 12:42 PM
If you don`t do squat to the car the paint will last for a year. It`ll look like crud but it won`t fall off the car.

If you want it to look good you`ll need to protect it from the environment and that means a wax or sealant. #7 is purely for looks and provides no protection at all. #7 is still popular but Meguiar`s will be the first to tell you that you need to wax over the top of it if the car`s going to be driven outside.

Since you don`t want to spend much time on the car you`ll probably get the best results with an all-in-one product like Meg`s ColorX, used every few months.

PC.

imported_gusbubba
08-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Yeah , I`d agree with the Color-X and maybe a spray wax for occasional use.

All of that can be gotten OTC , too.

Accumulator
08-01-2006, 12:54 PM
I`d clay and Color-X (actually I`d use a 1Z polish, but the Color-X is OTC). Next wash I`d apply Collinite 476S.

Yeah, even on a company car ;) I`ve do a lot more than that on loaners/rentals that I know I`d have for a few weeks and I`m the guy who keeps saying that life is so short. You`re gonna be spending some time in that car, no matter who actually owns it- do you really want to drive around in a neglected, ratty-looking new car? Heh heh, didn`t think so ;)

With the 476S on there you can even use touchless washes for maybe 2/3 of the washes and only bother with the hand wash when you feel like it.

drew.haynes
08-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Accumulator knows all.. or close to it... so probably just listen to him. :heelclick

BigAl3
08-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Since you don`t want to spend much time on the car you`ll probably get the best results with an all-in-one product like Meg`s ColorX, used every few months.

agreed paul. i`ve used colorx numerous times without dissappointment, and it`s probably my fave megs product...

DodgeRacer
08-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Thanks guys, I will check out the Color-X and probably wax in the Fall and the Spring with a Spray Wax or QD in between. I still like to keep my cars looking good even though I have not "owned" a car since 1992. Not only that, but it gives me something to do, a little exercise and keeps me out of the wifes way. :getdown