PDA

View Full Version : `88 Red GTI, need analysis

Slinky
08-01-2006, 11:16 AM
http://juker.us/GTI/

I`m looking into getting a MKII GTI, this is one i`ve found that`s for sell in SoCal, all maintance has been kept up. Obviously he isn`t to keen on detailing. I`m just looking for a second opinion and if anyone notices anything that I havn`t. What products/process would you guys recommend for this job? My main concern is exterior, interior just needs usual work. I currently have the Poorboys/SSR line. Thanks!

jeen
08-01-2006, 11:23 AM
im assuming thats the original paint, and it not being pink yet is a surprise. are you using a rotary or a pc?

Slinky
08-01-2006, 11:44 AM
I will be using a PC.

jeen
08-01-2006, 12:10 PM
its definetely possible to correct that. when you get the car, try taping off a test spot on the hood, and try doing two passes with ssr2.5 on speed 5 with the pc. im assuming you know the correct technique for the pc, but 2 passes should be enough to remove that oxidation depending on the pad. it may take more depending on how deep that oxidation is, but since its not pink yet, i think you may be in luck. itll definetely be a long job, but the results will be worth it. i love working on single stage paints, theyre just so rewarding.

Ben Kenobi
08-01-2006, 01:30 PM
I hope the maintenance has been kept up as the guy is a pig. That thing is filthy in and out. You`ll be doing a lot of work to get that up to par. I don`t think it`s been washed since about 1990, yuck. I agree with the SSR2.5 to remove oxidation and scratches. However you`re looking at fixing spots so is it better to repaint? Your decision.

firegate
08-01-2006, 04:49 PM
I`d start off with something like AIO by hand with a bunch of cheap costco MF`s to take care of the oxidation, and then polish from there.. you`ll go through a bunch of pads very quickly if you try and do it via PC.