PDA

View Full Version : 3m products

imported_wagsjr
08-01-2006, 06:21 AM
I have in the past used 3m with good results. I used rub it II compound followed by swirl mark remover. We used on dark only for a dealer, I also used the gray waffle pad. Also all by rotary.

Seems like I am missing a step in there but not sure what 3m makes now as compared to the 83 and 80 by Megs which I do have.

I have a personal customer base for my own business now which most cars do not need to be compounded. The guy I used to work with said MEGS 9000 pad works great with 3m sm remover.

So I am looking for a product and pad breakdown of 3m if someone could help me out please. Looking to achieve that perfect finish on my black explorer.

I also have a pc but only 8000 pads(I wax by hand always). So much to learn fellas. Thanks

imported_wagsjr
08-01-2006, 05:25 PM
I did a search and couldnt find much on 3m

natebood
08-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Maybe this will help:

http://danosdetailing.com/products/

imported_wagsjr
08-01-2006, 06:53 PM
Awesome post. Thank you.

imported_Bence
08-01-2006, 09:17 PM
A body shop owner friend uses 3M. We tried and compared the PI-III Trizact compound with HTEC. I hate the 3M stuff because it lies to you BIG time. It fills to such extent that is really disgusting. On an all-original classic, with thin paint it is great though...

My pal used both with a rotary. At first he used the HTEC on rather low RPMs (mild cutting pad). It wasn`t working properly. The he brought out the PI-III Trizact and voila, the swirls and scratches were gone in VERY short time on a low speed, about 900 RPMs. This alone was suspicious, but nevertheless, the surface was nearly perfect (gray metallic Crossfire).

I decided to wipe it down with Prepsol. After a good soak... OH MY... the majority of the swirls were still there.

Then I told him to use the HTEC properly. We mixed a 50/50 HTEC/OP dose, and he started to work - this time using correct RPMs. After the same Prepsol wipedown, the surface was perfect now. My pal sat there silently, and finally asked my to use the HTEC/OP mix for the entire vehicle. I agreed and it came out excellent. He said he had to fight with the rotary with this combo (true; as it won`t glide as smoothly as with other products) - but the results were fascinating.

BMWWW
08-01-2006, 09:29 PM
**Off-topic**

Where would Optimum Hyper Compound and Optimum Compound slot in?

6-8?

Thanks!