PDA

View Full Version : What type of wax?

tarheels12386
08-01-2006, 02:40 AM
Well I would first like to start off with saying hello and this is a great forum!

So I have done some browsing (about four or so hours) and I cant seem to find what I am looking for. I am trying to find a great wax that will give me an amazing shine and depth. I do not have an expensive buffer, just a regular one you can purchase for 20$ at the local auto store. I was thinking the NXT wax but after searching it sounds like it is not the best for what I am looking for. I have a white honda, so a wax for a dark car is out. I also would like to spend 20$ or under on some. So could someone point me in the right direction of a product to search on and read about? Or if you can personally reccomend something also that would be great!

Thanks,

Kevin

EDIT - Also my paint is not in horrible shape. I have minimal to no swirls. I want a dependable wax that can hold its shine. I do not mind waxing the car once every 2 or 3 weeks also if that helps pick a product.

HondaGuy
08-01-2006, 05:10 AM
OK with white first start by with a clay bar (search and you will find tons) to remove the contaminants on the paint. And NXT would be a good choice, although I hate the fact that it doesnt last long at all, its initial look is great. A wax for "darker" finishes actually look great on white and there really aren`t waxes for "dark" and "light" colors. Its all just personal preferance. And that buffer, well personally I wouldn`t ever let it touch my paint, its pretty much just a waxer. Dont be fooled by the name. Names of products in the detailing world are pretty screwed up, sealants called waxes or glazes, glazes called waxes, waxes called glazes, etc...

So if I were you I would just use the wax you have, but if I were me, I would get some Poorboys EX and a jar of Natty`s blue. Both together will cost you more than $20 though. So I guess get the EX and top with NXT and then it will look great.

tarheels12386
08-01-2006, 09:37 PM
Alright I guess I can look into those 2. Any others I could look for?

imported_altez
08-01-2006, 09:44 PM
Alright I guess I can look into those 2. Any others I could look for?

I would recommend washing and claying your car first. Then put a sealant and wax by hand - check out duragloss products, you can get a sealant and wax for under 20 buck.

Mr.Toast
08-01-2006, 09:47 PM
i have heard good things on the forum about NXT topped with s100, both you can buy OTC

imported_mosborn9
08-01-2006, 09:58 PM
I have personally not used Duragloss products but take a look at this and see if this is what you are looking for:Results from using entire Duragloss lineup.. pics inside (http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75060&highlight=duragloss+white)

Duragloss 105 Total Performance Polish: $9.99

Duragloss 951 AquaWax : $6.89

Spend the remainder on a glossy tire shine to create a contrast with the white paint.

3Dog
08-01-2006, 10:20 PM
Amazing shine and depth is 90% (at least) PREP. All the waxes are cool to play with BUT the surface it is placed on is what counts.

tarheels12386
08-01-2006, 10:24 PM
I have clayed the car before and I understand that. What I am really looking for is a good wax. I have been using Meguires cleaner wax and I must say I am very unsatisfied with it.

Has anyone heard of Astroshield? My friend works at a body shop and they apply that to some cars and it seems to last for ever and the shine is amazing.

Amazing shine and depth is 90% (at least) PREP. All the waxes are cool to play with BUT the surface it is placed on is what counts.

Well I have a good brand soap to wash the car and the clay works great. The car like I said has minimal to no swirls and is scratch free. I just need to find something to seal the paint better or at least look like it lasts more than 3 weeks. The surface with the meguires applied just doesnt last.

HondaGuy
08-02-2006, 02:16 AM
3Dog is right, but I`d look into duragloss my man. I forgot about that one.

SDLexus
08-02-2006, 02:25 AM
Sounds like NXT would work fine for your needs. NXT on a light color like white will give it nice sharp reflections. NXT also has nice filling properties. You can use the NXT Tech Wax and maintain it with the NXT Booster Spray Wax in between Tech Wax applications.

Way2SSlow
08-02-2006, 06:47 AM
I do not mind waxing the car once every 2 or 3 weeks also if that helps pick a product.

IMO, NXT would be fine for you. I dont think I have ever used any product that didnt last atleast that long. NXT looks great and you could keep the car looking great with a quick coat every month. Personally, I`m not a huge fan of the NXT booster wax. It didnt really save me much time, and I like knowing that there is a fresh application of whatever I am using on my rides.