PDA

View Full Version : Almost caused a disaster.

mitsuman47
07-31-2006, 08:39 PM
Decided that since I was about done detailing my engine compartment, I`d throw a little wax on the bottom side of the hood by hand. Just a little somethin`, you know? Well about 10 seconds in I noticed a little blue on my applicator. I guess when you`re new to this, like I am, you`re bound to have close calls. Luckily I didn`t get too carried away and it looks like it will be ok.

Is there anything I can put on the bottom side of my hood? Or is it best to leave well enough alone?

awahl63
07-31-2006, 08:42 PM
What happened? Did the paint come off?

2.5RS
07-31-2006, 08:52 PM
They typically don`t clearcoat the inside of body panels. I think you can expect a small amount of paint transfer on a surface that is subjected to that kind of heat with nothing protecting it.

- Andrew

mitsuman47
07-31-2006, 10:54 PM
Yeah, I ended up with paint on the applicator...quickly. I can`t see any loss of paint on the car, though.

Setec Astronomy
07-31-2006, 11:03 PM
Well, the same thing happens when you do the outside, but you don`t see it because clear coat is clear.

mitsuman47
07-31-2006, 11:16 PM
Well, the same thing happens when you do the outside, but you don`t see it because clear coat is clear.

Really? Wow, that`s kind of scary. I guess it bothered me because I had just washed it with a pretty strong batch of soap, and scrubbed the crap out it for a while with a white wash mitt and didn`t notice anything come off (white mitt, dark blue car). But, with very little pressure was able to get paint off with the wax.

What`s a good wax for paint that doesn`t have a clear coat?

And what do I do with the 1/2 sq. ft. of paint that already has this wax on it?

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Setec Astronomy
07-31-2006, 11:29 PM
In the old days of single stage paint, you always got color (paint) transfer when you polished. It still happens, you remove clearcoat when you polish (maybe not as much as the old single stage, since CC is catalyzed and really hard in comparison). Use some cleaner wax. If you keep it nice, you can perhaps use a pure wax later. And while I`m at it, those areas that aren`t cleared usually don`t have as much paint on them (just color, I guess, with no clear...which makes it about half as thick and not as hard), so be gentle.

mitsuman47
08-01-2006, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the help, SA.

I have some megs cleaner wax sitting around, so I`ll try that.

After I let the first coat cure for a day or two (a week?), will I be able to put another coat on there without anymore loss of paint. Should I even worry about it? haha.

Setec Astronomy
08-01-2006, 12:00 PM
You don`t really need to let a wax cure. If you want to put another coat on for full coverage you can, but it will "clean" off the first coat, and will likely take off more color (the first application may remove more because it will be removing oxidized paint). After you get it "clean", you can top it with a pure wax, or something with minimal cleaning ability, like NXT, etc.