PDA

View Full Version : I`m rusty, remind me the abraisiveness of these polishes

Blake325ic
07-31-2006, 04:32 PM
It has been a year or two since I have opened up my detailing box for my more abraisive polishes and frankly can not remember the proper steps to the process.

Here`s my plan for the day:

Wash with Dawn

Clay

Meguiar`s DACP 83

Meguiar`s Show Car Glaze 7

S100 Cleanser

S100 Wax

I`ll start with the white pad and the DACP, then yellow pad #7, then white pad s100 and hand wax. Previously, I believe I had used 3M SMR before the #7 - but will have to purchase a bottle if it`s needed. So, the point of my post here is if I have a proper or necessary medium polish for the step between the DACP and the S100? I don`t recall where the #7 fits in. Should I purchase more SMR to use between the DACP and the S100 or is this an unecessary step?

Thanks in advance for the help!

ZaneO
07-31-2006, 04:36 PM
What brand of pads are you using?

toolfanatic
07-31-2006, 04:54 PM
Using Dawn is questionable. Some think it`s ok. Some would say never use it (me included). I think it`s too harsh and not needed if you`re polishing. Just my opinion.

jeen
07-31-2006, 05:14 PM
agreed on the dawn. if you had alot of built up wax and whatnot on it, and wanted to get a clean slate, then maybe. but if its been more than 6 months, id use a different wash soap. as for the dacp, and the smr...essencially the same product. try doing a test spot, and you`ll see what i mean. the dacp, when used properly, wont leave any micromarring, and has a bit more cutting power than the smr. the #7 is easist applied by hand, and it is simply a pure polish...no abrasives what so ever. i say wash with a less harsh car soap, clay, dacp *1 or 2 passes*, qd when you finish, apply a very light coat of #7 by hand, wipe off with a microfiber as soon as you finish(dont let it sit), and then apply the wax. apply a light coat, let sit for 15-30 minutes...wipe off, and apply another light coat, wait, and wipe off.

im going to read up on the s100 cleanser, but what is the purpose of using that between the #7 and the wax?

depending on the color of the car, ive had good results with the rebadged 3m glaze for dark/light cars. i had good results when i used the dark, followed by #7 on a red jetta. came out having alot of depth, and looking quite wet. if you use the 3m, you probably wont need the dacp, and the same goes for if you use the dacp.

Blake325ic
07-31-2006, 09:12 PM
I have some pads from Classic Motoring Acessories. They were highly recommended 4-5 years ago when I got carried away with all this detailing stuff. The S100 is incredible stuff and cheap as well - I believe it`s the identical to Ps21 or P21s (i`ve been away for a while), except it is marketed for motorcycles.

Should I use a light polish between the application of the DACP and the S100 (i prefer s100 to the #7)?

Thanks again!

bluzman
07-31-2006, 09:32 PM
S100 cleaner, is that a paint cleanser. If so I would think you wouldnt want to use it after the glaze. Id leave it out or use it right after claying.

jeen
07-31-2006, 09:38 PM
you shouldnt need to, but the s100 cleanser is apparently a slight abrasive. i say...do the dacp, then the s100 cleanser if you really want to, then apply the #7 by hand, and finish off the the wax. if you dont want to, just skip the #7, i really like the look it gives, and im sure combined with the s100 wax...itd come out very good.