PDA

View Full Version : That new car smell

Pages : [1] 2

Envoy Fan
03-24-2005, 10:48 PM
Didn`t want to hijack another thread about air fresheners, but this is a similiar topic.

How do you get rid of the new car smell in a short time? Have a family member that absolutely does not tolerate the new odor. Is there something that will neutralize the scent?

milky
03-25-2005, 02:58 AM
Had that same problem too. What I did was to open the windows every chance that I get :D

JeffM
03-25-2005, 06:43 AM
I love that smell...

JaredPointer
03-25-2005, 09:01 AM
I don`t like that smell particularly well either. When the car gets hot on the inside I find that it gets stronger. I usually drive with the windows cracked/down for a good while at every opportunity. I leave the windows cracked when parked as well. In about a month, the smell was not noticeable anymore. Also, drive with the "fresh" option on your AC unit (let fresh air in instead of the recirculated), I think that helps a bit as well. I can still smell it if I park on a sunny day with the windows closed. Just gotta let it air-out I guess.

Envoy Fan
03-25-2005, 09:28 AM
Yeah, I know about leaving the windows down, was just hoping for a quicker fix.

jiffy
03-25-2005, 11:31 AM
You could try a air oder neutralizer, or something to mask the smell until it disappears. The problem, is that is isn`t like your dog peed on your carpet or seat, and the smell is only comming from that one spot (but stinking the entire car. That one spot can be treated with the right priducts.

The true new car smell is a combination of evaporating glues and the plastics in the car. Basically, its everything inside the car that gives off the smell, from the dash to the carpets to the backing of the headliner.

Keep the windows down, make sure your AC vents are set to bring outside air in, and try a neutralizer spray (or get somethign else to mask the smell for now)

EDIT
Anothe thought, maybe some Arm and Hammer can be hidden under the seat in a cheesecloth temporarily. Also, activated charcoal?

AlfaEric
03-25-2005, 12:34 PM
EDIT
Anothe thought, maybe some Arm and Hammer can be hidden under the seat in a cheesecloth temporarily. Also, activated charcoal?
They sell it in a "spill proof" box. You peel off the front and back covers to let the air flow through.

I think the activated charcoal might be too messy. :dunno

Just leaving the windows open every chance you get will probably take car of it.

---Eric

Mliner
03-27-2005, 12:13 AM
Are you serious?...That smell is the best smell ever

Envoy Fan
03-27-2005, 12:42 AM

Yeah, but as I stated in my first post, a family member does not tolerate it well. Some folks have a problem with perfumes, etc.

Mliner
03-27-2005, 12:45 AM
Yeah, but as I stated in my first post, a family member does not tolerate it well. Some folks have a problem with perfumes, etc.
Yes,i understand that`s how my English teacher is...he can`t stand colognes.

klnyc
03-27-2005, 10:38 AM
Haha when I was young l like 5-9 years old i hate those freaking new car smell.
Now I love it :naughty

JaredPointer
03-28-2005, 09:38 AM

That smell makes a lot of people sick.

WuNgUn
04-07-2005, 11:38 PM
I wish I could get that smell BACK in my car! :(
The current lineup of Ford`s (although I believe this started with the Focus) have a LOT of research and testing done to get just the right `new car` smell.
The composition of the materials, manufacturing techniques, effects of direct sunlight, extreme heat and cold, etc. were all refined to get the `smell` just right, and not just in the showroom, but WEEKS afterwards as well...
I knew I should of quite smoking when I bought my SVT Focus :(

Jngrbrdman
04-08-2005, 09:35 AM
The cause of the New Car Smell is the glues and carpet and all the new stuff in the car. You can`t really get rid of it unless you want to neutralize every square inch of the car. That smell isn`t isolated to one spot. Getting rid of the new car smell is more complicated than any other odor. Its everywhere cigarette smoke would be but in this case it would be like having a burning cigarette in the car. The smell is not going to go away fast. Its not a scent that the dealership added to the car. That is just the smell of a new car. Tell your family member that they should just not ride in the car if they can`t tollerate the smell. There isn`t anything you can do about it for awhile.

groebuck
04-11-2005, 03:52 PM
I thought it had more to do with the evaporating of the interior plastics and what not (dash etc) as well as the oils and what not comnig out of your leather (if you got the bling).