PDA

View Full Version : virgin paint waiting for my touch

pohljm
07-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Hello all, just took delivery of a red 06 Acura TL and I am looking for any words of wisdom on how to proceed with the care and maintenance of this machine. She is still a virgin and do not want to screw it up. Been thinking about that applied film to protect from rock chips any thoughts on those products? I am married with kids so I cannot turn this into a weekly all day long chore. car will be garaged only 40 % of time so it will be exposed to the hot San Diego sun and the jet airliners landing path is only two miles south. What do I do first to this fresh factory paint? What products to use for shine and protection? and lastly the leather interior is a very light creme color, is there any protectant that should be applied now to keep it that way?

RAG
07-30-2006, 08:02 PM
Hey, what a coincidence...I be a San Diegan too. The best advice I have for you is to wash it properly - DO NOT take it to any of the hand wash facilities around here - they are horrible on your paint.

RAG
07-30-2006, 08:08 PM
Oh yeah, there is a wealth of information on "proper washing" if you do a search on this site.

And are you sure the dealership didn`t do you a "favor" and wash it a time or two for you?

awahl63
07-30-2006, 09:49 PM
Foam gun...

Ben Kenobi
07-30-2006, 09:59 PM
I have a good friend that put the 3M film on his TL and he`s very happy with it. I know it`s saved him from some rock chips. Wash your car properly and you`ll find a wealth of info here as to what to use.

RAG
07-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Regarding the "clear bra" film, it`s really a matter of perference. But here in the SD area, we really don`t have much of a rock chipping problem like they do in most areas of the country...we don`t have the rough winters, and this our roads are usually in good condiditon.

For protecting the paint in general, there are many good sealants...some low-fuss, easy to apply favorites are Poorboys EX-P, Ultimate Paint Protection, and many others. These same companies make good leather conditioners - my favorite is made by Zaino, but it`s pricey.

Focus on the washing and you won`t need to buff/polish the paint as often. Though even then you`ll eventually still get washing swirls, and if you anything like the rest of the people on here, this will bug you...at which time you`ll want to get a good buffer. Also, rust contamination (a bonded contaminent) is really bad here, especially in your area - most of my customers are in Mission Hills and the rust contamination is horrendous there! Every 4-6 months you will want/need to clay and polish to keep the rust from getting bad.

Edit: I have a one-page write up on in proper washing if you want me to email it to you?

Hope this helps,

Ryan

pohljm
07-30-2006, 10:58 PM
Rag, I dont think I would ever trust myself with a buffer, I have seen to many cars screwed up by amateurs with power tools. Is there any off the shelf waxes or protectant finishes that you recommend?

TSXWench
07-31-2006, 12:31 AM
Hi pohljim,

I`m originally from SD as well but reside in Orange County now. What I want to say is don`t be afraid of machine polishers like Porter Cable orbitals. From what I`ve learned from this site I think they are very user friendly unlike rotary polishers which can be problematic in inexperienced hands. I just recently detailed my dad`s red SLK 350 which had major swirls and used Optimum polish (among other things) with a PC and the results were quite amazing. I have also polished the horizontal surfaces of my Acura TSX with great results. Oh, and by the way, I probably shouldn`t admit this but I`m a 47 year old female so if I can do this I`m sure you`ll have no problem ;) (unless you`re a 55 year old female, you aren`t are you??)

TSXWench
07-31-2006, 12:33 AM
Oh, and I forgot, check out the Duragloss line. I have experienced great results with their products and they can be found, if you`re lucky, at Carquest or just order them online.

Accumulator
07-31-2006, 11:32 AM
Rag, I dont think I would ever trust myself with a buffer, I have seen to many cars screwed up by amateurs with power tools...

Heh heh, IMO you`re more likely to do damage just washing the car than you are with a PC or a Cyclo ;) A good friend is in the same demographic as TSXwench and she does just fine when she borrows my PC (does a better job than her husband does IMO); my late father did fine with my Cyclo and he first tried it in his 80s.

Concentrate on the wash- it`s what you do most often and it`s were most marring originates. Note the basic issue: how do you move potentially abrasive dirt off the paint without pressing it *against* the paint? If you press dirt against the paint, and then *move* said dirt, it`ll act like sandpaper and mar your finish. Solution: get a foamgun and work towards "dislodge and flush" as opposed to "scrub".

Oh, and Welcome to Autopia!

RAG
07-31-2006, 01:25 PM
Rag, I dont think I would ever trust myself with a buffer, I have seen to many cars screwed up by amateurs with power tools. Is there any off the shelf waxes or protectant finishes that you recommend?

It is easier to oder online than to go to the store...and most of the products you`ll get OTC will stain plastic and have a tendancy to leave residue in the cracks. Get a pure sealant, like EX-P and you won`t have these issues. But don`t count on a sealant to do anything in the way of preventing sratches or other marring, it`s just iceing on the cake - eventually you`re gonna have to clay and polish (a minimum of twice a year around here if you want to keep your paint "clean").

pohljm
08-01-2006, 06:37 PM
Have the armor all car wash, tons of microfiber towels and a new chamois.

I have a psudo foam gun, it just mixes soap and water it does not introduce air into the mix for that big foamalicious spray I have seen in photos here, but it works.

I also have purchased PRO C-102 clay away 4 bar to be followed by Pro P-73 Profection paint sealant. And as for the leather interior I have Pro S-44 Leather Lotion.

I think that should give me a pretty good start, what are your thoughts?

pohljm
08-01-2006, 06:39 PM
Thanx for the advice, 46 year old and male here. hopefully I will not need the PC till later on in the vehicles life.

stilez
08-01-2006, 07:40 PM
www.bettercarcare.com

RAG
08-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Have the armor all car wash, tons of microfiber towels and a new chamois.

I have a psudo foam gun, it just mixes soap and water it does not introduce air into the mix for that big foamalicious spray I have seen in photos here, but it works.

I also have purchased PRO C-102 clay away 4 bar to be followed by Pro P-73 Profection paint sealant. And as for the leather interior I have Pro S-44 Leather Lotion.

I think that should give me a pretty good start, what are your thoughts?

Hopefully you have some nice waffle weafe microfibers for drying, cause that chamois is borderline worthless - pain to use, steaks, and worst of all, has a tendancy to "facilitate" marring.

C-102 and P-73...let me guess, did you go to the detail supply outlett? Or maybe Auto Beauty Supply? The P-73 sealant will work just fine (I have used it) - nothing great as far as looks go, but it offers good protection and doesn`t stain plastic. The clay is okay, but if you have a dark colored car, it will tend to leave some scuff-like marring for sure (this is why you`ll need a PC, or hire someone with one). And I suppose there is nothing wrong with the S-44 Leather conditioner (except for the smell - yuk).