PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever detailed a red chrysler sebring?

autobahn
07-30-2006, 11:30 AM
I`m doing my mom`s chrysler sebring with the optimum group (right now, OC and OP).

It`s a dark red car.

Yesterday, when doing the areas we needed to do by hand, we noticed a bit of red on the applicator....

Now, today, working with OP and a white pad, I`m noticing my pad is turning pink.

This car is a 2001, it`s never been detailed before. I`d think this car would have a clearcoat, seeing what year it is.... But I just don`t understand why my pad is turning pink!

Any ideas?

Thomas Dekany
07-30-2006, 12:35 PM
I`m doing my mom`s chrysler sebring with the optimum group (right now, OC and OP).

It`s a dark red car.

Yesterday, when doing the areas we needed to do by hand, we noticed a bit of red on the applicator....

Now, today, working with OP and a white pad, I`m noticing my pad is turning pink.

This car is a 2001, it`s never been detailed before. I`d think this car would have a clearcoat, seeing what year it is.... But I just don`t understand why my pad is turning pink!

Any ideas?

single stage paint.

steelwind101
07-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Single stage, even if it a 2001 its still a Chrysler

Brian_Brice
07-30-2006, 12:56 PM
well said steel, very dissapointing line of vehicles for the most part.

velobard
07-30-2006, 01:48 PM
My 2001 Chrysler LHS is dark red (officially, dark garnet red pearlcoat) and it`s definitely NOT single stage paint. I`d be a little surprised if the Sebring was that different, though I suppose it is possible since it is considered a lower-line vehicle compared to mine. I looked at and drove a WIDE variety of cars before I bought mine and it`s hardly what I`d consider "disappointing". Of course I AM biased, I`m quite fond of my LHS and it`s sister model, the 300M. The only Sebring I drove was an `04 convertible, but it was pretty nice as well. For whatever reason, a lot of the Chrysler products definitely didn`t hold their value very well, which makes them a bargain on the used market. For some of the Chrysler products, `01 was also a peak year for reliability, if you put any stock in Consumer Reports.

I`m not sure if your mother`s car is exactly the same color as mine, but it`s likely. I regularly receive compliments on the color of the paint, as well as the condition. Edmunds shows this same color available on the `01 Sebring.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/velobard/IMG_1213.jpg

Not sure what to tell you about what`s going on, but you`ll get a lot better feedback if you can post pics. Is it possible that some of the red was blended in with the clearcoat? I know that`s done sometimes to add depth.

Pittssteelers
07-30-2006, 03:06 PM
If it is a Sebring coupe, it is single stage...any other then I would bet it being BC/CC...

velobard
07-30-2006, 03:48 PM
I`ll believe you if you`ve seen SS Sebring`s. I was going by the info at Edmunds, which lists pearlcoat or clearcoat, even for the coupe.

DodgeRacer
07-30-2006, 04:31 PM
I worked as a Service Trainer for Chrysler from 1987 to 2001 when I retired and all Chrysler products going back many years have been BC/CC. I am not a detailer so I don`t know why your buffer is turning pink, but that car should be BC/CC. The only reason it wouldn`t be is if it was repainted in single stage paint and I can`t imagine anyone doing that.

Thomas Dekany
07-30-2006, 05:41 PM
The only reason it wouldn`t be is if it was repainted in single stage paint and I can`t imagine anyone doing that.

I can imagine that, since it happens more often.

I mean you will buy a so called brand new car that had to be repainted due to damage while in transit, yet the stealership will never tell you that. I hate stealerships.

imported_themightytimmah
07-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Might be a tinted clear - my buddy has a `91 Dodge Stealth RT, and while it has clearcoat failure in some spots (the only reason I know it`s cleared), it still turned my pads red with oxidized paint.

imported_gusbubba
07-30-2006, 07:10 PM
I was recently buffing out a scratch on my sister`s Sebring (dark red) and

also noticed some paint transfer to the pad.......wasn`t sure what to

make of it either.