PDA

View Full Version : Alloy wheel weight glue marks

harleysuperduty
07-30-2006, 02:30 AM
My Mercedes has alloy wheels that appear to be clearcoated and painted. Whenever I change the tires for the summer/winter, they rebalance the tires and remove the previous glued wheel weight that are slightly on the inner surface of the wheel. I don`t know what glue is used, but it leaves a real mess. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Mike

imported_truzoom
07-30-2006, 02:35 AM
I would say Goo Gone would work, or a plastic razor blade and some careful scraping.

I didn`t realize some wheelweights were glued on? I thought most clamped on from both sides.

sumptimwong
07-30-2006, 06:14 AM
I`ve been wondering the same. Newer-school wheels, especially those with a lip, utilize wheel weights with an adhesive backing. It`s mainly for asthetic reasons.

Accumulator
07-30-2006, 12:10 PM
The glue on weights are great, no more chipped paint! Been using them for over 20 years. But sometimes they come loose and you gotta have `em rebalanced :(

I`d get a set of cheap wheels for the winter, all that mounting/dismounting can be hard on the wheels (the installers might cause a little cosmetic damage) and the tire beads (sorry, I know you didn`t ask about that :o )...

I use 3M Adhesive Remover and often clay. A little polishing and they`re ready to be resealed. Soak a rag/paper towel with the Adhesive Remover and find a way to hold the saturated rag against the spot where the weights were for a few minutes, the longer the dwell-time the better it`ll work and IMO the dwell-time is the important thing.

Oh, and try to make sure the installation guys don`t scrape the wheels up when they remove the old weights and/or install the new ones. I GM FSM I have says to sand the wheels with 400 grit sandpaper before sticking the weights on :eek:

gmblack3
07-30-2006, 12:15 PM
WD-40 might work.

Tasty
07-30-2006, 07:48 PM
Accumulator speaks. This thread needs no further discussion.

Stick on weights are great. I just wonder why I didn`t know of them until about a year ago.

harleysuperduty
07-31-2006, 03:30 AM
Thanks, everyone, I`ll give some of your suggestions a try.

Mike

ChevyLovers
07-31-2006, 08:34 AM
WD-40 works for me. Just spray it on and let it soak in and it should come right off in a few minutes.

Wasatch
07-31-2006, 09:16 AM
Just tell them to put them on the inside of the wheel when balancing.

Accumulator
07-31-2006, 10:39 AM
Just tell them to put them on the inside of the wheel when balancing.

Yeah, that`s what I do too. But you gotta have people you can work with since sometimes (rarely, but sometimes) they just can`t get the balance perfect with them all on the back. Then they gotta dismount/remount the tire and hope it goes better. This can be a hassle and some shops might decide to just leave the balance imperfect.

Wasatch
07-31-2006, 10:49 AM
Just had new wheels put on my X, the machine does everything. The place where I bought my tires (Discount Tires) only placed them on my other wheels on the outside, so I was shocked to see them on the inside on the new wheels, they also gave me the option (inside/outside or both).

Bill D
07-31-2006, 10:50 AM
If the mechanical action of the solvent and/or clay doesn`t work, trying heating while it is dwelling with a steamer ( if you have access to one) and then carefully wipe it away.

III
07-31-2006, 11:28 AM
I use 3M Adhesive Remover and often clay.

Yes. Try the 3M stuff. I use this stuff often myself.