PDA

View Full Version : Mixing RMG w/ 3M Fine Cut?

drew.haynes
07-28-2006, 04:53 PM
What would happen? Sometimes the 3M gums to the pad a little, and it always dusts ALOT, but I love it and it`s worked wonders everytime I`ve used it. It doesn`t seem that aggressive to me.. not enough that it really worries me anymore.

What would happen if I mixed it 3M:RMG around 2:1 or 3:1?

wannafbody
07-28-2006, 10:37 PM
should work fine- the cutting action of the 3m will probably be diminished somewhat. Make sure to work the product long enough to break down the larger 3m abrasives.

drew.haynes
07-28-2006, 10:40 PM
should work fine- the cutting action of the 3m will probably be diminished somewhat. Make sure to work the product long enough to break down the larger 3m abrasives.

Hmm.. I may try. We`ll see. The 3M already takes a while to break down as is... quite a lot of speed 6 passes. But it`s a real miracle-worker so far.

Accumulator
07-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Just remember to wear the right respirator if you`re using the FCRC a lot; that dust will do an asbestos-type number on your lungs due to the silica-based abrasives. This stuff isn`t worth dying over.

The RMG mix is an interesting idea, though I don`t see how it`d cut down on the gumming.

drew.haynes
07-29-2006, 06:20 PM
Just remember to wear the right respirator if you`re using the FCRC a lot; that dust will do an asbestos-type number on your lungs due to the silica-based abrasives. This stuff isn`t worth dying over.

The RMG mix is an interesting idea, though I don`t see how it`d cut down on the gumming.

How do I KNOW what kind of mask to wear? I bought some dust masks and then after polishing realized that they say they are not for asbestos or silica. So I got some other 3m masks... they say they are for sanding and fiberglass work or something.. but nothing specific mentioned about silica.

xTravBx
07-29-2006, 07:01 PM
I would get one that`s suitable for paint.

A family friend died of lung cancer from asbestos-based exposure.

Accumulator
07-30-2006, 12:29 PM
I just quit using the PI-II FCRC myself. If I were to use it again I`d do as xTravBx suggested and use one that`s made for shooting paint.

I have a disposable one (lasts a few months after you open it if you keep it in its ziplock bag) from 3M that I got at the autobody/paint supply place, but I`d ask the folks at a place like that to be sure you get the right one.

drew.haynes
07-30-2006, 06:16 PM
I just quit using the PI-II FCRC myself. If I were to use it again I`d do as xTravBx suggested and use one that`s made for shooting paint.

I have a disposable one (lasts a few months after you open it if you keep it in its ziplock bag) from 3M that I got at the autobody/paint supply place, but I`d ask the folks at a place like that to be sure you get the right one.

What do you use that is safer and has the same aggressiveness? I`d prefer to NOT wear a mask... SO HOT.

Accumulator
07-31-2006, 12:11 PM
The 3M PI-III RC 05933 isn`t *quite* as aggressive but it`s close enough. Trouble is that it was discontinued due to VOC regs. You can still get it, and I have enough to last forever, but I can see the logic in not "learning" a discontinued product.

If you want something that`ll be around forever, I`d look into Hi-Temp Medium Cut at TOL (http://www.topoftheline.com/index.html)

drew.haynes
07-31-2006, 01:39 PM
The 3M PI-III RC 05933 isn`t *quite* as aggressive but it`s close enough. Trouble is that it was discontinued due to VOC regs. You can still get it, and I have enough to last forever, but I can see the logic in not "learning" a discontinued product.

If you want something that`ll be around forever, I`d look into Hi-Temp Medium Cut at TOL (http://www.topoftheline.com/index.html)

I`m gonna look into hi-temp. I`ve never seen much about those products. How does the aggressiveness of OHC compare to 3M Fine Cut? SSR3 is slightly MORE abrasive, is that correct?

Accumulator
08-01-2006, 12:04 PM
Maybe somebody else can answer, I haven`t used OHC or the SSR line. Heh heh, I`m sorta stuck in my ways, always using the old PI-III RC/MG stuff.

Saw on another thread that you ordered the H-T EC, I think you`ll be happy with it. Their Light Cut is a nice, pretty mild, product if you want something like that.

drew.haynes
08-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Thanks alot... you`ve been a ton of help as usual! Stuck in your ways sounds good to me. I`m just trying to find out what ways to get stuck in myself so I can narrow down excess supplies!