PDA

View Full Version : Zaino & Decals?

maddog5150
07-28-2006, 09:34 AM
I recently got my 1979 Trans Am back from a full concours restoration. Now that I`ve given the paint 3-4 months to dry, I want to do the job right and use Zaino.

The question is - Should the Zaino system be applied over the decals as well or should I avoid getting the stuff on them?

Your thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Pete in NJ

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e120/TransformationRestorations/Pete79Bandit/000_0259.jpg

TigerMike
07-28-2006, 11:02 AM
Zaino is completely safe and nonabrasive, and can and should be applied over your decals to help protect them too. Even Sal himself will say that it is safe. The only word of caution is be careful waxing or polishing over the decals, as you could cause a rip or tear.

Zaino is actually one of the safest and friendliest car care products on the market.

Sweet ride too!! :spot

kompressornsc
07-28-2006, 11:43 AM
Didn`t Ponch drive one of those? :)

I`ve Z`d decals with no problem.

Intercooled
07-28-2006, 11:44 AM
Zaino is the best! No problem over decals. Nice ride, not too many of those around!

imported_Amused
07-28-2006, 03:16 PM
That is so Smokey and the Bandit...NICE!

Zaino should serve you well on that car.

Imatk
07-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Man I just LOVE... I mean LOVE that car!!

When I was a kid... back in kindergarten I got to ride in my next door neighbor`s boyfriends Trans Am. My first memory... first "guy" memory of wanting that car.

The dash with the turned aluminum.... NICE!

Ok... so to answer, like others have said, yes do put it over your decals. It will protect them like it will protect your paint.

Diesel1
07-28-2006, 04:22 PM
I would just add that you should becareful when applying product. I have found that when it comes to decals/clear bras, it is better to start on the decal/clear bra and only apply in one direction which leads you off the decal or clearbra. Doing this the right way allows you to get the sealant or waz extremely close to the line where the decal meets the paint without getting it stuck there. If you move in the direction from bare paint to to the decal, then you will get a build up of wax on that edge that you will have to fight like hell to remove or live with the residue. Even Zaino when dry will leave a white patch against a decal or clear bra.

I found a faster swipe works best!

gmblack3
07-28-2006, 04:39 PM
That car is cool!!!

Are you gonna use Z5pro on it?

awahl63
07-28-2006, 04:50 PM
Very cool car

wannafbody
07-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Z5pro topped with Z8 would be a killer combo.

autobahn
07-29-2006, 12:00 AM
I don`t get why zaino is "right" when there`s eleventy billion other products that would also work just as well.

maddog5150
07-29-2006, 12:31 AM
I don`t get why zaino is "right" when there`s eleventy billion other products that would also work just as well.

Thanks for the replies and compliments everyone! Much appreciated!

I`ve been doing a lot of reading and research for 2+ years on what would be the best combination of protectant for my baby while she was undergoing the restoration. Granted, there are some great products on the market but Zaino consistantly tops the charts in just about everything I`ve read. I`ve been collecting parts and money to restore this car since 1986 so I`m not going to skimp on this stuff now. Leisure time is at a premium for me so if I knew a great detailer that is familiar with Zaino in my area (Roseland, NJ), I`d pass the job off to them.

Yes, I plan on doing coats of Z5 Pro, Z2Pro and Z8.

Did Ponch really drive a 79 Special Edition Trans Am? Smokey and the Bandit was a 77 Special Edition Trans Am.