PDA

View Full Version : Restoring Red VW with oxidation

mleggatt
07-27-2006, 05:35 PM
I have a 1995 Tornado Red VW Golf and am completely new to detailing. The car was waxed regularly until last year when I found the paint on the rear quarter was beginning to fade towards the top of the panel. To be honest I gave up on it as several friends (some in motor trade) told me the only solution was to respray panel or whole car! The rear quarter panel is now a pinky colour (see below) and the rest of the car has a light white haze over it.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~mleggatt/images/Qtr_fade.jpg

I initially tried to remove the oxidation by:

1. T-cutting and then waxing with Autoglym super resin polish but the fading came back within a week.

2. Polishing with Mer car polish which although initially reduced the fading it came back again.

I believe the paint is single coat as when I t-cutted the car the cloth I used turned red during polishing.

I bought the following to try and revive the faded paint:

Sonus SFX Polisher Kit

Porter Cable 7424 (110v transformer and ext lead)

Sonus 6"DAS FlexPlate

SFX-1 Foam Pad

SFX-2 Foam Pad

SFX-3 Foam Pad

DAS Buffing Bonnets

Sonus Paintwork Cleanser (included free)

NXT Car Wash

Meguiars Quik Clay Detailing System

Meguiars Deep Crystal 1 -3

NXT Tech Wax Paste

I am intending on doing the following:

1.Wash car with the 2 bucket method - nxt car wash.

2. Clay the whole vehicle twice - Quick Clay/Quick Detailer

3. Wash to remove any clay residue left and dry car.

4. Use the DC stage 1 paint cleaner one panel at a time remove the residue before it dry`s

5. DC 2 polish one panel at a time remove the residue before it dry`s

6. DC3 Carnuaba wax over the entire car, let it skin to a haze before removing

6. Wax again - nxt tech wax paste

I do however have a few questions:

1. I was told the Meguiars 3 stage system isn`t supposed to be used with a Porter Cable polisher? I watched a Meguiars howto video showing the 3 stage system as part of the video (albeit briefly)

2. Will the DC1 be enough to remove the heavier oxidation on the rear quarter of the car? I have seen that some people have used Meguiars #83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish on cars like this, should I be using this or another product instead of the DC1?

3. I have read that using a PC polisher you can use slightly less abrasive cleaners than when applying by hand. Does this mean that by using a PC polisher the DC1 will be strong enough to remove the oxidation?

I would also appreciate anyone`s opinions or pointers on detailing this car.

Thanks in advance

Martin

SkeptiKal
07-27-2006, 06:11 PM
I`d honestly use Klasse AIO. I know thats not what you bought, but sealing the polished panel with something durable afterwards would give it a nice shine (for a while). Unfortunetly, that will require ongoing care.

imported_themightytimmah
07-27-2006, 06:40 PM
You`re probably going to want something more aggressive. I usually tackle bad oxidation with Optimum Polish and a cutting pad.

Half and half shot: http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/themightytimmah/DSC00019.jpg