PDA

View Full Version : clay

ezzzman
07-27-2006, 02:45 AM
if u dont open the clay from the plastic bag how long would u be able to keep them. coz i saw some good deal that u could buy four at the same time and save some $$$

imported_steveo3002
07-27-2006, 02:51 AM
ive had it sit 2 years and its still good...as long as you avoid extreme temps you should be okay

EMazda3S
07-27-2006, 03:01 AM
I had some for about 4 years and it was still fine. It was Clay Magic but I don`t think it`s brand specific.

jequirk
07-27-2006, 03:16 AM
Well you can Extend the life and increase the performance of clay bars buy using this BLACK FIRE product.

http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo.net/blclclex.html

I hope this helps, Good luck!

ezzzman
07-27-2006, 03:26 AM
thanks for the info.

and one more question would the meguiar #9 too strong to be used on a 3 years old paint, the paint shows some minor swirls and i`m trying to get them off with the meguiar #9 ( i always have my car garage kept)

the other pc
07-27-2006, 10:35 AM
Three year old factory paint or three year old respray?

For factory paint I doubt #9 will nearly strong enough unless you`re using a rotary.

For a respray by PC, maybe, but it`s still very mild.

By hand, fugetaboutit. Try ScratchX

PC.

Accumulator
07-27-2006, 12:01 PM
What The Other PC said :xyxthumbs

And I just used some clay that must`ve been over five years old, and was kept in a very hot/cold building. It worked fine.

ezzzman
07-27-2006, 12:36 PM
thank you all appreciated

awahl63
07-27-2006, 01:11 PM
It should last a really long time

ezzzman
07-27-2006, 01:25 PM
how would you guys compare on the product #9 and #7.

Accumulator
07-27-2006, 05:16 PM
how would you guys compare on the product #9 and #7.

They`re very different.

The #9 is a very mildly abrasive polish that also contains some Meguair`s "trade secret oils" and, IIRC, some mild chemical cleaners. FWIW, my Jag has very soft lacquer, and the #9 is too mild to do much of anything on it.

The #7 is a nonabrasive product that is almost entirely "trade secret oils".

If the paint is already as good as it can get, you might use the #7. Otherwise, the #9 will do a little, very light, improving.

You could always use the #7 after the #9. But I dunno if it`d be worth it. I really only use #7 on single stage paints...

ezzzman
07-27-2006, 06:11 PM
thanks for all the input

imported_steveo3002
07-28-2006, 04:30 AM
They`re very different.

The #9 is a very mildly abrasive polish that also contains some Meguair`s "trade secret oils" and, IIRC, some mild chemical cleaners. FWIW, my Jag has very soft lacquer, and the #9 is too mild to do much of anything on it.

The #7 is a nonabrasive product that is almost entirely "trade secret oils".

If the paint is already as good as it can get, you might use the #7. Otherwise, the #9 will do a little, very light, improving.

You could always use the #7 after the #9. But I dunno if it`d be worth it. I really only use #7 on single stage paints...

talking of #7 ive been playing around with mixing it in with #80 that way you can taylor the cleaning ability to your needs

Accumulator
07-28-2006, 11:25 AM
talking of #7 ive been playing around with mixing it in with #80 that way you can taylor the cleaning ability to your needs

Good idea, but you missed one thing ;)

The abrasives in #80 start out somewhat aggressive (too aggressive for some soft paints). Adding more lubricating oils via mixing in #7 won`t change the *size or hardness* of the initial level of those abrasives so IMO it won`t work out as planned.

A better idea would be to add the #7 to the (already so mild as to be a "why bother", but anyhow) #9.

Adding a glaze to an abrasive polish can work great (e.g., the current trend involving RMG added to polishes) but you gotta pick a polish with an initial bite that`s closer to its "worked down" bite. The #80 just starts out too aggressive for this IMO. You`re on the right track though :xyxthumbs