PDA

View Full Version : can i just sand this clearcoat failure?

galerie
07-26-2006, 04:22 PM
The first picture in under the front bumper. There is alot of the clear coat coming off, can I just sand this to smooth it in with the paint color. I can really afford a new paint job for the bumper. If I can please tell me what grit of sandpaper to use.

Also the second picture is a `scuff` mark, can i just use a little compound to get that off?

thanks so much

Joshua312
07-26-2006, 04:30 PM
My guess is no...When you try to sand it down Im sure you`re going to end up taking off some paint as well. Also, it will just expose the paint and it will probably cause more damage sooner. Best bet is to get it repainted, if you cant afford it...you could at least go to a place like Maaco for now until you can afford something better.

MrSelfDestruct
07-26-2006, 05:14 PM
First pic- definatly fubar`d. You need new paint.

Second pic.. hard to tell based on the pic.

Envious Eric
07-26-2006, 05:21 PM
my vote.....try it.....if you are going to get it painted anyway, you might as well work on your sanding skills! they are going to repaint the whole bumper to match, not just the little section, so why not try it....maybe it will just cover it up until you can afford a new paint job and it will be less noticeable....

galerie
07-26-2006, 06:29 PM
my vote.....try it.....if you are going to get it painted anyway, you might as well work on your sanding skills! they are going to repaint the whole bumper to match, not just the little section, so why not try it....maybe it will just cover it up until you can afford a new paint job and it will be less noticeable....

thanks toyota guy.... i think i might, what grit sandpaper do you think i should use?

Capt. Paintball
07-27-2006, 04:07 AM
50 grit. That will remove the paint much more efficiently.

jimmybuffit
07-27-2006, 07:56 AM
50 grit. That will remove the paint much more efficiently.

:2thumbs: Yup, that`ll take the paint off!!!!

Me? I`d start with 1200. Quite a difference in opinions, huh?

That bumper is only repairable via a complete respray. I doubt that you would EVER be able to remove the 50 grit tracks from the plastic...

Good Luck.

Jim

bjackson8
07-27-2006, 12:44 PM
I recently traded in a 97 Accord that had the start of clear coat failure on the trunk and roof. The clearcoat was turning white, but had not fully come off. The following is what I did and the results.

With PC, cutting pad & SSR 2.5 - Polished the areas (for a very long time) to the point where the discolored clearcoat was basically gone, but the basecoat was not affected. An area the size of a softball took approx. 45 minutes.

Next was spraying several layers of cleacoat (purchased at parts store), allowing about an hour between each coat. Then wetsanding the area with 2000 grit paper to feather the edges in, and polishing again.

Overall, the results were decent, but alot of work. If you knew it was there, you could tell up close, but from several feet away it was alright. It was probably worth the effort in increased trade in value

MidLife Cruiser
07-27-2006, 06:23 PM
I agree with bjackson8, although I might try the 1200 grit before using the SSR. If you can get the damaged clear coat off and feather it out without damaging the base coat, get some rattle cans of clear and spray the clear. Then wet sand. All you`ll be out is some sandpaper, some swirl remover, clear coat and time. And, if you are gonna repaint later, even if it doesn`t turn out too well, you will have had the experience.

Pb2theMax
07-27-2006, 07:37 PM
Be careful. Some basecoats are soft. Once the clearcoat is removed the basecoat can be pretty easy to remove. The basecoat is usually a lot softer than the clearcoat. I once tried what you are trying to do on a Toyota and I polished down to bare metal in a matter of seconds with mild polish and a PC. I had to get it repainted at a body shop. Once the clearcoat is gone you`re screwed.

Capt. Paintball
07-28-2006, 10:29 PM
:2thumbs: Yup, that`ll take the paint off!!!!

Me? I`d start with 1200. Quite a difference in opinions, huh?

Jimmy buffit...I was kidding. :doh That bumper is beyond repair, with just a wetsand/buff in my opinion. It may be worth a try. Seeing as how bad it looks, the poster has nothing to lose. Depending on the cost/time/bank account, it may not be worth fixing it in any capacity.

Galerie--Weigh the cost/time/results together and decide if you even want to fix it. If you do, wetsand, clearcoat route first--that is the cheapest. You may be happy enough to let it go. Good luck. A quality full bumper repaint is not cheap, and may not match perfectly.