PDA

View Full Version : Spot free rinse in a bottle?

SMRcalidiv
07-26-2006, 05:31 AM
I was curious about spot free rinse at car washes, is there a way that we can put this in a spray bottle? Is it filtered or distilled water, or something else? I think it would be handy to have when Im cleaning door jams or trunk crevices that I cant use a hose and cant reach with a towel.

RTexasF
07-26-2006, 06:07 AM
I believe it is deionized water and an expensive filter is required to achieve it. Likely not practical for your intended uses.

Driven Auto Detail
07-26-2006, 09:14 AM
Last year I had a water softener installed in my house and fortunately it was put in the garage. I was able to have my plumber add a water spicket in the garage so I could hook up a hose and use soft water to wash my cars.

I have to say, this did the trick for me. I no longer have any spotting issues. One other thing I do is take the nozzle off the hose for the final rinse. I just let the water run freely over the entire car (steady stream). This will help sheet off most of the water.

My neighbor just puchased a new black Pontiac Torrent. He has told me multiple times that he can`t even wash it if the sun is out because water dries on it so fast and leaves behind water spots all over. He doesn`t have a water softener so I definitely believe that it helps tremendously to use soft water when washing your car. Plus, you get more suds with less soap with soft water. That`s another thing my neighbor complains about..lack of suds with his hard water.

SMRcalidiv
07-27-2006, 07:38 PM
So would it be possible to bring an empty spray bottle to a coin car wash and fill it with their spot free rinse?

Ron Harris
07-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Just buy a gallon of distilled water.

odonnellb
07-27-2006, 08:24 PM
doesnt filtered water not leave spots, like dasani or poland springs? I thought i heard someone say that once

jdhutchin
07-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Water spots are caused by minerals in the water being left behind when the water evaporates (dries). If you have pure water, without any of the minerals, there`s nothing to leave a spot. You can get a water softener, use distilled water, get one of the Armor-All wash things (they have a filter in them), or get something like a CSR Spotless filter. Any of those options should remove enough of the minerals so you`re not left with water spots.

odonnellb
07-27-2006, 08:33 PM
^^yea i thought so...

velobard
07-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Dare I mention it?

http://www.homemadesimple.com/sites/en_US/mrcleanautodry/images/Product_page/carwash.jpg

:hide:

At least it`s a better option than bringing water home from the car wash.

ret
07-27-2006, 09:44 PM
DI Water = De-ionized

The water quality produced is Mineral Free (free of hard minerals and totally dissolved solids TDS).

True DI Water will not leave ANY spots.

"Soft water" as it is known, will still contain mineral in the form of sodium (levels will vary).

"Soft water" that is "softened" through sodium exchange can and usualy will still leave spots (levels will vary).

Most new carwashes are running a re-claim and filter / recycled water system.

The “spot free†rinse may or may not go through an “extra†filter cycle that is intended to reduce the mineral levels and or contaminants found in the re-claimed and filtered water.

If the “spot free†rinse at your local carwash is processed through a DI system, there is still no guarantee that the water you “take home†in mineral free /DI, as all DI filters have saturation capacities and will loose their ability to remove TDSs over time.

RET

imported_truzoom
07-27-2006, 10:21 PM
My suggestion is also to keep a few jugs of distilled water on hand. They are $0.60 each at Wally World and come in boxes of 3, so a few boxes in the garage should last you for a while.

SMRcalidiv
07-27-2006, 11:07 PM
so distilled water should dry spot free?