PDA

View Full Version : What to take swirls out of fresh paint?

SMRcalidiv
07-26-2006, 05:29 AM
I have left over buffing marks and some swirls in my new paint, please recommend a product to take this out. Its black btw...

BobD
07-26-2006, 06:43 AM
Are you trying this by hand or machine? And is this new body shop paint or a brand new car?

Bigpoppa3346
07-26-2006, 07:32 AM
Also, what kind of car do you have and how severe are the holograms/swirls? Need to be more specific.

coupe
07-26-2006, 08:05 AM
What those guys asked^^^^

SMRcalidiv
07-27-2006, 07:31 PM
ok, its a 2001 mustang with new body shop paint. I will be taking the swirls out with a pc, but if you can throw in a hand applied product as well that`d be nice. I`m not sure how to explain the severity of the swirls, theyre typical light surface swirls, like ones made from crappy towels, nothing deep enough to catch a fingernail, the buffer marks or holograms are noticeable in direct sunlight but again not extremely severe.

Juztang
07-27-2006, 08:14 PM
Try Poorboys SSR1. If that doesn`t work go wth the SSR2.5. I have had real good luck with their swirl removers.

SMRcalidiv
07-27-2006, 09:46 PM
applied by either pc or hand?

Accumulator
07-28-2006, 11:41 AM
You might try an area by hand as you can probably get a better feel for how aggressive/not you`re being. Start mild as the new paint might still be very soft. Sometimes the best course of action is to just wait a few weeks until it hardens some more.

SMRcalidiv
07-28-2006, 04:18 PM
I have heard that poorboys creates a lot of dust, is this true?

imported_DARKSTI
07-28-2006, 04:48 PM
I have heard that poorboys creates a lot of dust, is this true?

IMHO yes, I have used Menzerna,Optimum,Poorboys,Zaino,and Megs. Out of them all, Poorboys was the worst dusting I have ever seen, and it didnt even take out the swirls. I was really suprised, I really like Poorboys products, but IMHO, the SSR`s just dont work well. My favorite is Optimum or Menzerna :spot

drew.haynes
07-28-2006, 04:52 PM
SSR2.5 has worked really well in some areas I have used it. I think the biggest thing is getting used to how long to work it.

As far as dusting.. if you have a soft nylon brush... before you put on any product... turn on the PC and spin the pad against the brush lightly to release any loose pad particles... especially when my pads were brand new... I bet half the dust I had was from the pad itself.

Once the pad is primed and done a couple panels... I really do not think poorboys is THAT bad about dusting. 3M dusts so much more it is not even funny.