PDA

View Full Version : Want to learn to use a Buffer

lucky6025
03-23-2005, 01:18 PM
Here is an idea that is cheap and easy.You can go down to any local auto junk yard and ask for any hood or fender, larger the better, alot will give it to you free.the more lines or rises the better also.Set it on saw horses and tape it off into 4 equal sections,then try buffer/polisher out with different products/speeds each section should show something different till you get results you are looking for and you don`t ruin finish on your vehicle.7" buffers can be bought on ebay variable speed 5/8-11 thread for as little as 20.00 new if your only using it for few cars a year these work great and will last.keep the hood fender behind a shed and try it when ever you get new products your not sure of.Also try and get dark color black/dark blue/red these show the most amount of mistakes, if you can master them you can do any color. I learned while working in autobody shop in early 60`s from detailer,go out and buff totalled cars in lot, funny looks so easy when experienced person uses one till you try, remember antenna comming off and wiper arm ruining pad, burning edges, getting cord caught in pad but yopu learn from mistakes and never ruined anyones car LOLHad alot more respect for detailers after that also.Well just some info to think of if your interested in learning. Bill

joyriide1113
03-23-2005, 01:32 PM
hmmm. ive been meaning to try that out. for christmas i recieved a makita rotary from my uncle. he knows im very into detailing and such and sent me a rotary buffer. unforetunately i havent even attempted to use it. i tried calling some local body shops to see if they had soem spare panels. all of which turned me down. never thought of going to a junkyard tho... good idea