PDA

View Full Version : Just got my Duragloss today!

Pages : [1] 2

Guy
07-24-2006, 10:23 PM
The package arrived today while I was detailing my neighbors 98 Olds. I had already started using this Prestone sealant so I couldn`t try out the DG. Well I was getting ready for bed but it was eating at me to try the DG so I went into the garage and cleaned half my hood on the truck and used the bonding agent followed by 2 coats of the 105 sealant. I did this all in about 5 minutes as I was very tired. The DW finished it off, gave it a brilliant shine that was as slippery as ice! I am very impressed! It has a very deep reflective shine and felt like there was a layer of glass! Now I`m going to have to detail my truck tomorrow with the DG even though I just did it a week ago!

How long should I wait after applying 601 to apply the 105? And how long before a recoat of 105?

imported_AZ Ferrari Man
07-24-2006, 10:43 PM
I dont know, I was wondering when you are doing successive coats if you use AW like you would Z8 in between coats of Zaino? AL-53, any suggestions? I would wait at least 24 hrs, give it a quick once over with a QD and then apply, AW after

AL-53
07-25-2006, 06:25 AM
Using the 601 just wait till it hazes 15-30 minutes depending on weather...and apply the 105 over it ..let that haze and buff off.......I wait a day in between coats...cleaning first with the Fast Clean and Shine between coats to get dust off and any fallout...and apply another coat of 105....3 coats gives it the nice deep wet look..after the 3 coats wait a day or so for sealant to really cure and then use the AW..

to maintain the finish just use the FC&S as your detailer to clean when needed...and use AW after a wash or when you feel you need to add some extra shine and wetness to the looks...

The FC&S has a cleaner in it that will clean the surface of dust..bombs....fingerprints..and fallout...it also has some protectant in it also like AW....adds slickness also..

The AW will just add the protection..and gloss and slickness...

I never used AW between coats of 105 just FC&S...so I can not say it will not work or will work..but using FC&S between coats had no ill effects so AW may work with no problems but I see no advantage to it.. but never know..it just may add something if it works...

Al

Guy
07-25-2006, 06:39 AM
Being a newbie and FC&S is not on the abbreviation list, what does that mean? And also thanks for the info!

Bigpoppa3346
07-25-2006, 07:03 AM
FC&S-Fast clean and shine

AL-53
07-25-2006, 07:16 AM
Being a newbie and FC&S is not on the abbreviation list, what does that mean? And also thanks for the info!

this is FC&S http://www.duragloss.com/product.asp?pid=299

A real nice QD to use for maintanance of the finish..

this is what I used between coats of 105 to ensure a clean surface if it was not all that dirty..just dusty ..I had no bonding issues using this....and results were great....

Just remember..put the 601 on thin..and the 105 on thin...it spreads like butter..a little goes a long way once applicator is primed with product...

601 only has to used once during first coat..none after that...it just makes the first coat a harder finish...like epoxy..

Al

TigerMike
07-25-2006, 07:21 AM
I dont know, I was wondering when you are doing successive coats if you use AW like you would Z8 in between coats of Zaino?

No need to use AW in between coats. Instead, try the FC&S spray, as it is more for shine/slickness, instead of a spray wax, like AW. You should follow the last coat with AW for maximum pop for the finish.

Guy
07-25-2006, 12:58 PM
Well, after washing, claying, 2 passes with 3M Perfect it, 2 passes with Swirlbuster and polish, DG bonder, and first coat of DG 105, I can say I`m very impressed! I have a smoke gray 02 Dakota which has always looked black gray. After the 105 it is silver gray with the metallic popping out! Shine and depth are outstanding, ease of use is very easy, and the wow factor is there!

I`m going to let it sit while I mow then give it the second coat of 105. I`d like to wait longer but time limitations won`t let me. Pics will follow when I`m done. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

AL-53
07-25-2006, 01:34 PM
Guy..

Prep is 90% of the wow...getting your paint to it`s near perfect gloss and condition is what makes the 105 lock it in...

I am a big fan of Perfect-It III RC and Machine Glaze..but this time I did the truck with the Duragloss SMR..not a bad product...sounds sorta like the Swirlbuster polish ...my paint was not all that bad...so I did not use the 3M products...the SMR took out what little marring I had..left a nice finish and then used the bonding agent and 105..

the end results were like yours..WOW...my Red never looked so deep and wet....

I do 2 coats the first time to ensure complete coverage so will not hurt to do so...

Glad you liked the reults....

Al

06E90
07-25-2006, 02:02 PM
What`s the difference between the PC-2 and the SMR? I was not sure and ended up buying the PC-2. It seems that the swiel remover is more of a glaze from the description. Would there be any benefit in using the Porter-Cable with either one?

TigerMike
07-25-2006, 02:19 PM
The PC-2 is more of a paint cleaner, similar in function to say AIO, but without any protective additives.

The SMR is their swirl remover, which also contains a protectant for the finish.

Sure, there would be a benefit to using the PC with either. The PC will help the PC-2 clean the paint better and will help remove swirls more efficiently with the SMR. By the way, the Duragloss SMR has a banana scent that is very reminicient to the old Zaino Z5....the smells and colors are just about the same as far as I can tell.

Guy
07-25-2006, 02:48 PM
Guy..

Prep is 90% of the wow...getting your paint to it`s near perfect gloss and condition is what makes the 105 lock it in...

Al

Yes I agree, the better the paint before you apply the sealant the better the end results! My uncle came by before I applied any of the DG products and thought I was already done.

Also just got done with the second coat and it made a world of difference! But of course it started raining so pics will have to wait a bit. I wonder what a third application will do...? :drool:

06E90
07-25-2006, 03:11 PM
OK, reading this thread had me go and give my car a second coat of 105, almost done so will post pics in the C&B section later today. And to think that I never bought Zaino because of the hype... :chuckle:

AL-53
07-25-2006, 03:15 PM
What`s the difference between the PC-2 and the SMR? I was not sure and ended up buying the PC-2. It seems that the swirl remover is more of a glaze from the description. Would there be any benefit in using the Porter-Cable with either one?

If I remember right..I was told the PC-2 had 2 or 3 different size abrasives in it that break down when using it...plus it had a heavy cleaner also to clean the paint ...I have not used it nor have it...but seems like for more for medium correction...

The SMR has a micro abrasive with a mild cleaner and protectant also...it does the job well but it is for light marring and buffer swirls..not for any real heavy type correction...it took out 90% of the light marring from winter washes...and leaves a nice finish also...a little hard removing..I used FC&S to remove it and it comes off nicely...

the PC works good with the SMR..so I would imagine it works as good with PC-2 as well...

no dusting from the SMR..so maybe the same with the PC-2..works a long time also...

Al

OCD Nick
07-26-2006, 04:04 PM
Is anyone using DG-101?? I just picked some up.