PDA

View Full Version : Pulling out Rotory Holograms on black...help?

Captain McFunk
07-24-2006, 10:00 AM
Alright, I`ve got my first FULL detail on a new customer (I`ve washed his cars a good 10-15 times, just never a full detail). It`s a 2004 black Solara and it was just in an accident in which the front was repainted. It has HORRENDOUS rotary holograms, not to mention that it`s swirl-a-palooza on the paint. I`ve never worked with rotary holograms before, so should this be able to handle it:

Menzerna IP on yellow pad via PC at 6

Menzerna FP on red pad via PC at 5

RMG on white pad via PC at 5

Natty`s Blue by hand x2

or do you think I should hit it twice with the IP? Just trying to get a heads up before I jump on it, and I know pics would help, but just picture some BAD BAD holograms all across the front end.

Thanks for the help!

efinirx7gt
07-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Rotary holograms are easy to correct. I`ve removed holograms with 1Z Metallic and orange pad which is a really mild combo. You`ll be fine.

squimper
07-24-2006, 10:43 AM
Someone correct me if I`m wrong, because I don`t claim to be an expert, but I don`t think you want to be waxing fresh paint.

From what I`ve read, the paint needs 2 - 3 months to gas out?

Captain McFunk
07-24-2006, 10:49 AM
Bah, I didn`t even think about that. It`s been painted for about a week also. I think your correct thought now that I think about it. It has to cure and whatnot, I believe.

Accumulator
07-24-2006, 12:50 PM
A few thoughts:

Yeah, fresh paint needs to outgas for 90-120 days before you wax it. Note that 1Z MP has wax in it.

The fresh paint might be soft now which can be good (easy to correct) or bad (too soft to avoid micromarring).

Some holograms are shallow and easy to remove, others are incredibly *hard* to remove (Neoprufrock was never able to get them out of his Audi with a PC no matter what he tried). I had to use a rotary to get them out of my Audi, even on the slightly softer repainted areas, but the paint on the Solara might be a lot softer.

RTSooner
07-24-2006, 05:27 PM
I did a 2006 Black Mustang GT about a week ago that was full of holograms. One door had been painted and the guy went nuts with the rotory and it had marks all down one side. I used Soverign Paint Cleanser with an orange pad and they came out like magic. The paint job was about 6 months old so it turned out nice.

efinirx7gt
07-25-2006, 12:28 PM
A few thoughts:

Yeah, fresh paint needs to outgas for 90-120 days before you wax it. Note that 1Z MP has wax in it.

The fresh paint might be soft now which can be good (easy to correct) or bad (too soft to avoid micromarring).

Some holograms are shallow and easy to remove, others are incredibly *hard* to remove (Neoprufrock was never able to get them out of his Audi with a PC no matter what he tried). I had to use a rotary to get them out of my Audi, even on the slightly softer repainted areas, but the paint on the Solara might be a lot softer.

Yeah I totally overlooked that the car has a fresh coat of paint. Do you know if Menzerna is bodyshop safe?

Scottwax
07-25-2006, 05:03 PM
Do you know if Menzerna is bodyshop safe?

That isn`t an issue once the car leaves the shop. Body shop safe means it doesn`t contain silicones that will cause fish-eyes and bonding issues when used in a body shop. Once the car is painted and the paint is dry and the vehicle is outside the shop, it really isn`t a concern.

I`d still start with the lightest version of Menzerna you have and a polishing pad first to see if that works. No sense going to a compound and a cutting pad if it isn`t necessary.

imported_Shaun Carollo
07-25-2006, 08:02 PM
I dont know what pad system you are using, but if it is meguiars; your pad selection should swap with your polishes. The meguiars rec (cutting) is for compounding, and yellow (polishing) is for jus tthat, polishing. Of course if you are using another system, disregard this post.

-Shaun

Accumulator
07-26-2006, 12:34 PM
As ScottWax noted, there`s a difference between bodyshop-safe and fresh-repaint-safe. But yeah, Menzerna`s polishes are bodyshop-safe; the painter working on my XJS uses the Menzerna stuff.

Shaun Carollo- yeah, the pad always factors in as much as the product :xyxthumbs But note that if the product is too aggressive (e.g., some of my #80 experiences) then it`ll mar no matter *what* pad you use. Fresh paint is one time it really does pay to start with the least aggressive stuff you have and go from there.

mihilc
08-01-2006, 07:10 AM
I managed to remove holograms using XP Swirl Remover from Automagic, with their green pad at 1000 rpm. Very easy. Of course, you can do it with any other mild polish with a polishing pad.

TrueDetailer
08-13-2006, 01:50 AM
I managed to remove holograms using XP Swirl Remover from Automagic, with their green pad at 1000 rpm. Very easy. Of course, you can do it with any other mild polish with a polishing pad.

You didn`t remove them with the xp swirl remover, you just hid them.

I use it on wholesale and dealer cars. I`ve used it a few times on personal and friends cars and the swirls come back after it wears off.

David Fermani
08-13-2006, 07:39 AM
You didn`t remove them with the xp swirl remover, you just hid them.

I use it on wholesale and dealer cars. I`ve used it a few times on personal and friends cars and the swirls come back after it wears off.

If you use proper technique with XP Swirl Remover, you REMOVE swirls. When you don`t use proper technique when trying to correct a greater induced problem like swirls, you won`t. It doesn`t matter what product you use.

When a vehicle has swirls(small burns/marring in the paint), there could be multiple different ways to fix the condition. One the other hand, I`ve seen hack body shops marr up a freshly painted vehicle so bad, I know it was permantely going to be there. The paint was so soft that the compounding and sanding marks were imbedded into the paint. Try fixing that.