PDA

View Full Version : Practicing with PC and DACP?

amtrak23
07-23-2006, 04:31 PM
I`m using my winter beater which has been neglected for years, in hopes of learing how to polish with a machine, etc. The front and right sides have been repainted at one time and are basically just falling apart. I knew there wasn`t much hope for them but I figured I play with it anyways. The nice red area is where the bra was protecting it for years.

Steps so far:

Wash with dawn

clay

wash

toyed with rubbing/polishing compound in two spots

3 apps of DACP at 4 speed.

I`m having trouble with DACP as I can`t get it of very easily. I feel like I`m buffing it on and off with the same pad, etc. to get the stuff off. It`s hazing up and impossible to get off unless I rub it with my finger to ball it up like little rubber eraser bits. Any tips or could it just be sticking in the swirl marks since they are so deep? I have tried working it in for a minute and wiping of the wet leftover, and have tried working it in for 3 minutes where it is basically all gone excpet for a few small areas.

I`m generally applying either an "X" or a circle of it around the pad and trying to work an area of about 2x2. I have generally been moving it at about 3-4" a second.

I also tried some no.7 rubbing and polishing compound by hand just to see what would happen. That`s what the dark red circles are in some of the pics. Should I stop playing with the hood because there is no hope or would 10 apps of DACP eventually do anything?

In pics "car15 & 17" you will see a chip of paint that is gone. The paint in the chip is nice and newish, the outside paint is deeply swirled. What is that? Did they just repaint over the original paint and what chipped off was the new stuff?

http://www.mistertees.net/redhonda/

Thanks,

Sean

dmxsoulja3
07-23-2006, 04:36 PM
I may be new, but you might want to use a cleaner wax on that first...then DACP....maybe try a section like that, my experiences with polishes/compounds are limited however if the paint isn` clean the reason for it not coming off easily may be because of that..

squimper
07-23-2006, 08:52 PM
Try slowing down your movement. Maybe 1/2 inch to 1 inch per second. Bump up the PC to 5 and make sure you work the product in. Depending on heat/humidity and possibly other factors, this could take 2 - 3 minutes or more. Once broken down it`s very easy to wipe off.

jequirk
07-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Looks hard to tell how your work has paid off dont you think?

amtrak23
07-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Looks hard to tell how your work has paid off dont you think?

I`m not really looking for a payoff look, I`m just trying to get a feel for the PC and #83 before it gets used on a real detail. Plus a lot of those pics were before shots, only a handful were afters.

I`m concerned with figuring out what is wrong the paint as I`m very curious as to what caused some of it.

Pics 14-17 shows a very swirled up rough surface. Almost like it was sanded with 50 grit?

Pics 15-17 show paint chips that expose "nice" paint below the rough service? Has to be a bad repaint correct?