PDA

View Full Version : What goes 0-60 4 sec uses no gas or oil?

roaringmouse
07-22-2006, 09:31 PM
http://www.teslamotors.com/

Performance Specs

The Tesla Roadster’s specs illustrate what it does (0 to 60 in about 4 seconds) — as well as what it doesn’t (zero emissions, zero motor oil). With one moving part in the motor, no clutch, and two gears, it’s not only a joy to drive, but to own as well. There is no motor oil to change; no filters, belts, or spark plugs to replace; no oxygen sensors to mistrust before an emissions test — in fact, no emissions test required ever. Other than inspection, the only service we recommend for the first 100,000 miles is brake and tire service.

Price est. roughly $80,000. Sedan scheduled for 2008.

Another article:

http://www.wired.com/news/wiredmag/0,71414-0.html?tw

imported_Picus
07-22-2006, 11:19 PM
I`ve seen a lot about this lately; and read a lot too. I guess the question that comes to mind righ away is; why hasn`t anyone done this yet? :D

Scottwax
07-23-2006, 01:00 AM
It isn`t zero emissions, it just moves the emissions elsewhere. Think about it, the electricity to charge the batteries has to come from somewhere, right?

spotpad
07-23-2006, 02:01 AM
You`re right, Scott but I think it`s a step in the right direction. :D One day we won`t be dependent on oil or coal. I just hope I live to see that day and drive the new cars with the new [insert-your-wish-here] paint.

velobard
07-23-2006, 10:22 AM
I`ve been following solar car races for several years. Lithium ion polymer batteries are standard fare there.

Scottwax
07-23-2006, 01:28 PM
You`re right, Scott but I think it`s a step in the right direction. :D One day we won`t be dependent on oil or coal. I just hope I live to see that day and drive the new cars with the new [insert-your-wish-here] paint.

A step in the right direction to reduce our dependency on oil, true but it irks me when people refer to electric cars as zero emission because the power plant making the electricity to recharge it is not emission free.

The biggest hurdles of electric cars are the range and what to do with all the old batteries.

WSUcommuter
07-23-2006, 07:54 PM
The biggest hurdles of electric cars are the range and what to do with all the old batteries.

Ehh... just bury them in the ground with all the waste from nuclear power plants... :nixweiss

Super
07-24-2006, 08:30 AM
(0 to 60 in about 4 seconds) YEA elect motors are every powerful much much more then gas is BUT the technology is not out there at this time for the energy storage. There is lithium-ion batteries but who’s going to invest billions of dollars to take a risk of new technology coming out that will make lithium-ion obsolete? And believe me it happens all the time, new technology comes out and investments are wasted. (investments as in stock holders)

CleanGSR
07-24-2006, 09:36 AM
I wonder why they couldn`t make part of the body panels out of solar panels which would recharge the batteries automatically. This would make it a true zero emissions vehicle and would extend it`s range indefinately. The solar cars that race for universities are setup this way (I think) and it works for them. Maybe that will be the future of this new type of car.