PDA

View Full Version : using the parking brake

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mcfly
07-22-2006, 06:27 PM
I`m not sure how true this is, but I was told that using the parking break everytime you park might ruin the break. How often do people use the parking break? I use everytime I`m in park, but I wonder if I should only using it when I`m parking on a slope.

Thank You.

Brace1
07-22-2006, 07:03 PM
I use mine everytime, my car has a manual transmission. I rarely used it with my previous vehicle which was an auto.

I think it`s a good practice to use it at least periodically. From what I understand the only time the rear brakes will tighten (via ratcheting) automatically is by applying the hand brake or by braking when backing up.

the other pc
07-22-2006, 08:24 PM
Crazy thought here, maybe there’s a reason it’s called a parking brake.

One could argue that simply using anything for it’s intended purpose will cause it to wear out eventually but some things, especially safety related parts tend to last a very long time under normal use. While not everybody follows the procedure they are designed to be used every time you park.

PC.

imported_hooked
07-23-2006, 07:54 AM
In my Olds Van I always set the parking brake even though it`s an auto. In my Honda Accord, definitely always since it`s a manual.

Accumulator
07-23-2006, 11:20 AM
Generally, the more often you use the parking brake the better. Even on an automatic (which I`ll admit I hardly ever do :o ) you oughta use it regularly. Many are self-adjusting and *all* of them benefit from regular use. Left unused, they can develop problems (rust, dry seals, etc.) that`ll cause trouble when you *do* use them. Just like most anything else on a car, it`s better to use it than not, at least now and then.

imported_steveo3002
08-05-2006, 06:02 AM
yep^^^^^ what he says :)

regular use will keep everything moving and ajusted properly

the only time i chosse to leave mine off , is when the car will be parked up in the garage for several weeks...dont want it siezing on do we

velobard
08-05-2006, 08:22 AM
The only real danger in using your parking brake is if you forget to release it when you drive off. Of course, that`s more likely to happen if you only use it occasionally. I remember once Patrick Stewart was being interviewed on one of the late night shows and he started off by apoligizing to his son because he`d borrowed his truck to drive to the studio that night and burned up the rear brakes when he didn`t notice the parking brake was on.

And Brace1, it`s not rear brakes specifically that adjust by ratcheting when you reverse, it`s drum brakes.

imported_hooked
08-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Even though I use the parking brake all the time on my automatic van, the other day I dropped my wife at the atm to get cash while I swung around and I must have put on the brake while I was stopped waiting for her. After that I drove to the mall and halfway there I started smelling a burning odor. Sure enough, the parking brake was engaged. Doh! :doh

imported_Tex Star Detail
08-05-2006, 06:29 PM
I always set mine in my vehicles (auto) no matter what. Habit I guess.

velobard
08-05-2006, 10:33 PM
Even though I use the parking brake all the time on my automatic van, the other day I dropped my wife at the atm to get cash while I swung around and I must have put on the brake while I was stopped waiting for her. After that I drove to the mall and halfway there I started smelling a burning odor. Sure enough, the parking brake was engaged. Doh! :doh

When I was a kid my dad had a 1968 Caddy that automatically released the parking brake when you took it out of park. If they could do that back then, it seems like it would be a cinch to make that a standard feature these days.

It was kinda fun actually. When you were driving you could press on the parking brake and it wouldn`t rachet, just applied the rear brakes and sprung right back. Combined with a 472 c.i. engine it made moonshiner turns really easy! Of course, that`s one story I`ll never tell my teenagers.

elfroggo
08-05-2006, 11:43 PM
You should use your parking brake periodically to make sure its still there haha.

The only situation where it isn`t good to use the parking brake is if you used the brakes very heavily prior to parking. If your rotors are red hot and you clamp down the brakes and leave it there, you risk warping the rotors due to the uneven heat dispersion.

awahl63
08-06-2006, 06:55 PM
I use it everytime I drive the car...

harvey
08-06-2006, 08:51 PM
every time I park a car-

Ben Kenobi
08-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Yes I use mine all the time whether it`s driving an automatic or manual. The thing no one has touched upon is with an auto transmission there`s only a pin holding the transmission in place. Do you want to come back someday and find your car has rolled away? If you`re going to use it you might want to spell it correctly, sheesh. Don`t they cover this at drivers ed in your state?

onin24eagle
08-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Use mine all the time. Especially on my manual. That`s why they call it a "parking brake."