PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody wax their grill?

mikebai1990
07-22-2006, 08:28 AM
No, it`s not the car grille. I`m talking about BBQ grills. I`m curious as to whether it`s safe to apply wax onto barbeque grills or gas-fired stoves. If there`s a layer of protection, especially on the grill, then it will make it easier for me to clean the grill. BTW, it`s a stainless steel grill. I`m thinking about putting on something durable, like Collinite, but since it`s a carnauba wax, do you guys think it (or even a synthetic sealant) would be able to withstand the 500-600 degree heat? Just thinking of more ways to use detailing supplies :)

imported_truzoom
07-22-2006, 08:31 AM
I would think maybe the Klasse twins would do well on stainless steel since it is an acrylic barrier.

jfelbab
07-22-2006, 09:00 AM
No, it`s not the car grille. I`m talking about BBQ grills. I`m curious as to whether it`s safe to apply wax onto barbeque grills or gas-fired stoves. If there`s a layer of protection, especially on the grill, then it will make it easier for me to clean the grill. BTW, it`s a stainless steel grill. I`m thinking about putting on something durable, like Collinite, but since it`s a carnauba wax, do you guys think it (or even a synthetic sealant) would be able to withstand the 500-600 degree heat? Just thinking of more ways to use detailing supplies :)

No automotive product would handle the heat. The grill surface will reach temps of 500°-600° when you are cleaning. Both Carnauba and sealants will evaporate at that temperature and may leave a discoloration in the process.

Grill manufacturers recommend external cleaning using warm soapy water and a wipe dry. I do use a chemical grill cleaner occasionally to dissolve any baked on grease on the exterior.

Save your products for automobiles.

tustah
07-22-2006, 11:15 AM
That`s some expensive grill cleaner!

imported_mburnickas
07-22-2006, 11:24 AM
My Weber manual says do not use any wax etc.

imported_themightytimmah
07-22-2006, 11:32 AM
Just hit the grill with a pressure washer once in a while. I wouldn`t wax it, as its a surface you cook on and when you heat it up, whatever is on the cooking part is going to bake into your food. I might be mistaken, but I don`t think collinite tastes too good :grinno:.

jdhutchin
07-22-2006, 11:34 AM
You could polish your grill if it`s cool (it`s likely to have a thin single-stage paint, no clearcoat here). If you wanted to repaint it, there are plenty of hi-temp paints that would stand up to the heat.

mikebai1990
07-22-2006, 12:07 PM
LOL, I think I get the point. No wax for my grill! :)

TSXWench
07-23-2006, 12:31 AM
I cleaned the exterior of my stainless steel grill with FK 215 then put on a coat of 1000p. I clean it with FK 146. It looks great. No discoloring.