PDA

View Full Version : Cyclo Users...

Pages : [1] 2

Joshua312
07-21-2006, 10:07 AM
Anyone with expierence can you help me out a little bit, I`ve exhausted the search function and really didnt find any answers as to *how* people are using their cyclo. A lot of praises for it and comparisons...but how do you start polishing with it?

1. Do I merely just put a squirt of polish on each pad, spread the polish with the machine off, and move right to left, then up and down until the polish breaks down?

2. Also, how does the 1 speed of cyclo compare to a pc is it around 6 on a pc or higher?

3. Any feedback on the propel 4" pads with the cyclo?

4. Overall feelings/opinions on this machine...

Thanks for all the help guys!! Can`t wait to try my cyclo out!

Accumulator
07-21-2006, 11:15 AM
Joshua312- I haven`t tried those pads, but maybe I can help a bit with the first 2 Qs.

Yeah, prime the pads well, distribute the polish (or wax) on them as evenly as you can. Spread the polish a bit on the panel and then turn the machine on.

I like to use figure-8 motions where there`s no pause at the end of a stroke like you get with side-to-side motions. It`s not like I *always* work it that way, but it can be good practice for future rotary use. So even though it`s not necessary with the Cyclo, I`d try to always keep it moving (learn the technique and build the muscle memory now with a safe machine, you`ll be glad you did if/when you get a rotary).

Feel free to apply some pressure (within reason). It won`t bog down and jiggle like the PC will and it won`t burn paint unless you do something utterly bizarre that I can`t imagine.

Try using it upside down (handle pointing towards ceiling, pads down below) on the sides and experiment with holding it with only one hand (I like to hold it by the top handle for aggressive work and by the "regular" handle for milder jobs like buffing off LSP with MF bonnets.

Note that it will dry/cake around the edges, especially if you do a lot of polishing without cleaning the pads, so watch for that (inspect them regularly) and add product as needed. You can clean the caked/dried polish by wiping (MF or terry towel, I use one wet with #34) or brushing with a toothbrush, or you can take the pads off and wash them. It`s safe to spin-dry the pads; they won`t fly off like they can with a PC.

The speed is about the same as the PC`s 3-4 (actual OPMs of the Cyclo are, IIRC, around 3000) but it seems a lot faster and more aggressive, perhaps because of a difference in stroke or because the Cyclo doesn`t bog down :nixweiss You`re on the right track though, treat it like a PC on speed 6.

Joshua312
07-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the help Accumulator;

I am very excited to use my cyclo when it arrives! I will experiment with the different ways of holding it as you said, the machine seems very light for how bulky it looks. My package from Danase is under 7 lbs :eek:

I`ve never done figure 8 motions, do I still move the machine slowly like the pc 1/2" per second or faster movements? I have a nice pad cleaner so that should help with any build-up, I also like to us the Meg`s 34 primed towel to remove polish on pads.

I think it`s crazy that a 3-4 via PC speed is made by the cyclo, I always assumed it would have faster OPM. It`ll be interested to see how the polishes break down with it. Thanks again for the help!

Accumulator
07-21-2006, 12:29 PM
I`ve never done figure 8 motions, do I still move the machine slowly like the pc 1/2" per second or faster movements? ...I think it`s crazy that a 3-4 via PC speed is made by the cyclo, I always assumed it would have faster OPM...

Yeah, still move it slowly. It`s more powerful than the PC but not *that* much more powereful.

Heh heh, the speed thing *is* wacky! Check the manual that comes with the Cyclo, IIRC the speed ranges from about 2,850 to 3,250 depending on the load (how hard you apply pressure). You`ll swear it`s moving twice as fast!

3Dog
07-21-2006, 04:47 PM
Ditto on Accumulator and...Propel 4" pads are probably..IMHO... the best pads to use with the Cyclo...also the foam pad cleaner and conditioner in the Pinnacle XMT line are Fantastic products to use also.

Scottwax
07-22-2006, 02:21 AM
I really like the Propel pads too, the Cyclo brand pads are too thin, IMO and cannot follow the contours of the car when you apply pressure to them.

I hold my Cyclo at a 45 degree angle and move it back and forth, side to side, etc like the PC. At a 45 degree angle, the pads overlap in a straight line so one pass is more like two passes.

Crappy pic, I suck at Paint.

http://www.upshizzle.com/gallery/albums/uploaded/after7.13.06/cyclo.gif

imported_themightytimmah
07-22-2006, 02:54 AM
I like to do the same thing as Scott until the polish is almost broken down, then I use "row" passes top to bottom kind of like this

Assuming that 1 is the down pass, 2 is the up pass etc, the space in between the pads on the down pass is covered by the trailing pad on the up pass, and the leading pad opens a new spot on the up pass. Sorry if it`s a bit confusing, if I had a little more time to post I`d photoshop a neato (and delightfully suggestive, if you don`t know what a Cyclo looks like) graphic ala Scott.

Wish I could tell ya about the Propels, I use/love LC pads on mine. I tend to get about 20 details out of a set before they start to fail, the Cyclo is a lot harder on polishing/cutting pads than a rotary in my experience. LC`s finishing pads are amazing BTW, softest pads I`ve used to date.

The Cyclo brand pads have been a real disappointment for me, all of my polishing pads have failed on the back after 5 or so cars. However, they`ve apparently released a new style of pad since I bought mine, and their customer support has been top-notch as they agreed to replace all of my broken pads. If only I`d get off my rear end and mail them in, I could tell ya about the new ones.

I`m dying to try their microgrit scratch removal pads but I can`t justify the expense as a rotary/wool has all the cut I`ve ever needed. For someone who doesn`t use a rotary, the 30 bucks for a set of backing pads and grit discs is significantly cheaper than the 300+ for a rotary setup, plus you don`t have to cut down nearly as big of an area. If one of you guys tries them out, please PM me your impressions, as Anthony Orosco likes them but I haven`t heard from anyone else (not that I don`t trust his opinion but he`s a lot more experienced then me and I`d like to see/hear results from someone closer to my skill level using them).

Joshua312
07-22-2006, 07:53 AM
Thank you very much Scott and themightytimmah;

Those two diagrams help me alot, Im sure once I use it for the first time it will be easier for me to get a feel for the machine and the movements you guys are talking about....Cept my pads didnt fricken ship till yesterday so I wont get them for another week! :( So looks like no cyclo usage till the 27th :(

Diesel1
07-24-2006, 01:19 PM
I really like the Propel pads too, the Cyclo brand pads are too thin, IMO and cannot follow the contours of the car when you apply pressure to them.

I hold my Cyclo at a 45 degree angle and move it back and forth, side to side, etc like the PC. At a 45 degree angle, the pads overlap in a straight line so one pass is more like two passes.

Crappy pic, I suck at Paint.

http://www.upshizzle.com/gallery/albums/uploaded/after7.13.06/cyclo.gif

Whoaaaaaaaaa where is the NOT WORK SAFE WARNING!!! JK Sorry couldn`t resist.

Joshua312
07-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Whoaaaaaaaaa where is the NOT WORK SAFE WARNING!!! JK Sorry couldn`t resist.

:funnypost

I recieved my cyclo today..and couldn`t help but just plug it in and turn it on. Wow! It sure does seem powerful compared to the OPM`s it is rated at. Can`t wait till my pads arrive, I should have my carpet scrubbers here tomorrow so at least I can try those out! I definately think Im going to love the cyclo! Thanks for all the help once again. :)

Joshua312
07-24-2006, 10:52 PM
One question...Ive been reading on a lot of forums that when using the cyclo with aggressive polishes and pads micromarring is very minimal to none compared to a pc...does anyone know why this is? Is it because the cyclo breaks down polishes better? Thanks!

imported_themightytimmah
07-25-2006, 12:16 AM
One question...Ive been reading on a lot of forums that when using the cyclo with aggressive polishes and pads micromarring is very minimal to none compared to a pc...does anyone know why this is? Is it because the cyclo breaks down polishes better? Thanks!

Yep, pretty much. What the cyclo loses in OPMs it makes up in torque - the machine simply does not bog, unless you push harder than I`d want to during normal polishing (I`ve bowed in sheetmetal on a practice panel with it before, and still not slowed down the machine too much). A Cyclo leaves probably the best finish of any machine with aggressive polishes - it might leave a little haze, but it won`t leave the terrible holograms of a rotary/cut pad.

If I had to one-step a car but needed to go really aggressive, the Cyclo/Orange/50:50 mix of Meg`s 66 and 83 is the way I`d go (great combo if you`ve gotta do production details for someone, its what I planned on when I bid on a 37 aircraft fleet).

Accumulator
07-25-2006, 09:08 AM
Another sorta-aggressive quickie approach is 1z Ultra/Extra Polish by Cyclo.

Diesel1
07-25-2006, 12:48 PM
:funnypost

I recieved my cyclo today..and couldn`t help but just plug it in and turn it on. Wow! It sure does seem powerful compared to the OPM`s it is rated at. Can`t wait till my pads arrive, I should have my carpet scrubbers here tomorrow so at least I can try those out! I definately think Im going to love the cyclo! Thanks for all the help once again. :)

The carpet scrubbers are insane! My cyclo came with the white ones and I did a set of mats with them. The mats came out ridiculous!

BobD
07-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Not sure if anyone has used P21S Lotion with the Cyclo but I gave this a wirl last night to work on some water spots on a new Malibu SS and it worked pretty darn good.