PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a recipe for Window cleaner?

Pages : [1] 2

Mike-in-WV
07-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Anyone have a good recipe for window cleaner? Any favorite OC cleaners?

My Mom always used newspaper and water with Vinegar . Worked good back then for the house windows anyway. She also used some stuff that was called window wax and it was real pink looking stuff. You put it on and let it dry and then just wipe off. It really worked great! There was also a company called fuller Brush that sold some good window cleaners.

If you have any favorites or good old recipes , Please share. It would be great to have a perfect , no smear window cleaner. :getdown Thanks, Mike

RCBuddha
07-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Home brew Glass Cleaner: http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2153&highlight=vinegar+glass+cleaner

I`ve had good luck with E.O. 20/20 and CG`s glass cleaner. I`ve always found that the cleanest glass came from the cleanest towels. I now have dedicated towels for this purpose.

Mike-in-WV
07-20-2006, 04:18 PM
RC, I sure agree about the clean towels when it comes to cleaning Windows. Thanks for the thoughts and the link. Mike

SDLexus
07-20-2006, 04:21 PM
Stoner`s Invisible Glass and a good quality waffle weave microfiber.

Glowin97x
07-20-2006, 04:42 PM
Stoner`s Invisible Glass and a good quality waffle weave microfiber.

+1 although i find that it has a harder time with stuff that is stuck to glass, particularly pollen deposits. I usually end up just having to go back over it and spot check. BUT no streaks

Mike-in-WV
07-20-2006, 05:20 PM
Thanks Guy`s! Where can I find Invisable Glass? Mike

kompressornsc
07-20-2006, 05:24 PM
SIG is available at WalMart or about any automotive store (PepBoys, Advance, etc.). So far, I think I prefer the new spray vs. the aerosol, but it is easy to use too much.

imported_mburnickas
07-20-2006, 05:31 PM
I just use Clearkote Quicksine..that is it.

GeorgePaul
07-20-2006, 05:35 PM
I like Meguiar`s NXT Generation Glass Cleaner, which is available OTC, and a concentrate from CG (Warner brand). I just use regular microfiber towels (not WW) -- one to wash, one to dry. Works great for me.

Mike-in-WV
07-20-2006, 06:15 PM
This is great! I just happen to be going to WalMart tomorrow. Thanks again , Mike

AL-53
07-20-2006, 07:02 PM
Mike....

Go to a GM dealership and get some optikleen..you can get it in a gallon size or 32oz concentrate..it is windshiled washer fluid..but I just put it in spray bottles.....but cleans nice and no streaks.....

this is the concentrate....around 3.75-4.50....but makes alot of window cleaner

http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/PartsAccessories/WindowProducts.jsp

or just get a gallon size...already to use....3.50 a gallon or less....

http://www.auto123.com/en/service/promosearch/promotionview.spy?id=12506&lng=en

this stuff cleans windows real nice..streak free....

Al

PS..I do not know if it is aftermarket tint safe....but has no ammonia...has alcohol and sufacants..

awahl63
07-20-2006, 07:05 PM
I think I`ll try the homebrew tomorrow

Hey, Moe!
07-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Yeah, you can get IG at Wal-Mart. But, if you have access to a Sam`s Club, they have 4-packs of the stuff (at least here in PA). It was a great deal, worth snapping up if you like the stuff.

Mike-in-WV
07-20-2006, 07:28 PM
Thanks again guys. It looks like I will be playing with window cleaner for a while,Lol. Mike

superstring
07-20-2006, 09:21 PM
Hi Mike

I thought you might be interested in my experience with Griot`s Glass Cleaner, which I didn`t hold in very high regard until I tried using it with MF Waffle Weave. It made ALL the difference! I KNOW you`re not a MF believer (and I certainly don`t believe all the hype), but this situation convinced me of the superiority of MF WW as a glass cleaning "cloth" ).

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72097

My point being is that it might, in fact, be the "cloth" you`re using with your cleaner with, rather than the cleaner itself that makes the most difference.